books set at Christmas time.

(20 Posts)
elvisthehamster Wed 25-Nov-15 22:17:55

Dd is looking for Christmas themed books to read in the run up to Christmas. She has read Enid Blyton Christmas stories and is now reading Little Woman-can anyone think of any other suitable ones. She is age 8 but is a very competent reader .

Thanks

cosmicglittergirl Wed 25-Nov-15 22:29:22

Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Little House in the Big Wood.

cosmicglittergirl Wed 25-Nov-15 22:29:45

Could she cope with a Christmas Carol?

thegiddylimit Wed 25-Nov-15 22:47:02

Holly Webb has a new book out each Christmas set at Christmas time. My DDs love them. Easy reading for her.

All the Little House books have a Christmas chapter (Plum Creek has 2) but I don't know if I'd describe them as Christmas books.

How about a good translation of The Snow Queen? And whst sbout The Box of Delights, not sure how easy it is to get those books these days. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has Father Christmas in it. We've got a set of Christmas Stories, possibly by Michael Murpurgo?

elvisthehamster Thu 26-Nov-15 00:20:16

Thanks -will look some of those up .

Sadik Thu 26-Nov-15 09:06:18

The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden, absolutely beautiful and perfect for an 8 y/o good reader.

Sadik Thu 26-Nov-15 09:06:57

Also The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper

INeedACheeseSlicer Thu 26-Nov-15 09:22:07

The Children of Green Knowe
The Box of Delights

You can get a compilation of all the Christmas Chapters in the Little House Books, but I think it is better to read each book in turn really.

If she likes Enid Blyton, some of the Famous Five books are set in the winter holidays - off the top of my head 5 go adventuring again, and 5 get into a fix. Shock for the secret 7 is also set in winter.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 26-Nov-15 09:25:56

DS is 9. I started reading A Christmas Carol to him on my kindle last year and was astonished to find that he'd finished reading it by himself. I'm sure he didn't understand every single word, but the story is strong and he enjoyed it.

TigersOfAlexpolis Thu 26-Nov-15 09:27:35

There's this one if you are interested in Christmas in a different culture.

Holstein Thu 26-Nov-15 09:45:59

Box of Delights is readily available as I've ordered it for my children. I think it was from Book People.
What about 'Winter Holiday' by Arthur Ransome?

Callmecordelia Thu 26-Nov-15 09:48:28

I was going to write the story of Holly and Ivy too, but someone else beat me to it! I love it, and read it to DD every Christmas.

Etrusca Thu 26-Nov-15 10:20:48

I love the Holly and the Ivy too!

Alexpolis - I like the look of the Christmas in Greece book, and I have been thinking about giving my children some multicultural reading. Is that book suitable for 9 year olds?

Preminstreltension Thu 26-Nov-15 12:13:33

I recently read really good reviews of the Snow Sister by Emma Carroll and A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig and I will be getting both for DCs stockings.

elvisthehamster Thu 26-Nov-15 12:44:25

Thanks everyone !

emmaMBC Thu 26-Nov-15 15:37:46

oooo have you seen this one from Matt Haigh? It is a gorgeous chapter book, full of tingly Christmas feeling - it's only just come out.

TigersOfAlexpolis Fri 27-Nov-15 06:42:13

Etrusca - yes, it's definitely suitable for 9yo - I would have said from 8yo and up.

notmynameohno Fri 27-Nov-15 20:14:10

The Kingdom of Christmas

Bloodybridget Mon 30-Nov-15 02:17:19

Castaway Christmas by Margaret Baker, ancient Puffin title, available on Abebooks (as well as evil Amazon!).

nooka Mon 30-Nov-15 02:23:49

The Thirteen Days of Christmas (here) is one of my favourite Christmas books. I think I read it aloud to my two at that sort of age, but if your dd is a good reader I think she'd enjoy it. It's a funny love story loosely based on the carol the twelve days of Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now