Best version of classic stories for 6 year old.

(5 Posts)
Rugbylovingmum Fri 31-Jul-15 20:09:35

Dd is almost 6 and we have been reading some ladybird early reader books together on holiday - they are part of the book band scheme so few words, very simple sentences, only the basics of story etc. She loved Heidi and The Wizard of Oz and asked lots of questions about the bits that are missed out. I think she might like a slightly more grown up version for me to read to her at bedtime. I wanted to order them for when we get home from hols but we are in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to get a feel for the books on amazon. Can anyone recommend a good version/series of classic stories for this age? An abridged version with a few shortish chapters and lots of pictures would be ideal - she is just getting into chapter books. Are ladybird the best? I'm not so keen on their classics for some reason but they are probably the right length. I saw some illustrated usbourne classics which look lovely but may be too old/too long.

Any recommendations for other stories to try would also be appreciated. She didn't like any of the Enid Blyton, was so so with the worst witch and winnie the witch, has enjoyed some Roald Dahl (Matilda and Charlie) and loved The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, Bambi and a couple of animal books by Holly Webb. She has always enjoyed old fashioned fairy tales and fables rather than her more modern books.

Thanks

PettsWoodParadise Fri 31-Jul-15 23:02:10

The Usborne Young Readers are fantastic. Dickins, Bronte, Shakespeare and lots more. A page with pictures of the characters and then a very abridged version, illustrated - all done extremely well. DD loved them and they then want to go on an read the real thing when older.

Rugbylovingmum Sat 01-Aug-15 07:47:46

Thanks, I'll have a look now.

user9300 Wed 05-Aug-15 17:40:42

the iPad has the iBooks Store and the Kindle books store. iBooks allow you to download samples of books, and i find this is a great way to explore books before purchase.

Rugbylovingmum Thu 06-Aug-15 08:15:35

Thanks user9300, I'll have a go at downloading ibooks. It sounds really useful - I do struggle to judge books for this age without seeing them. It's difficult to find the right balance of words and pictures. I think dd is quite young for a 5/6 year old and loses interest if the chapters are too long. We still read lots of picture books but she has enjoyed some longer books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now