If my 12yo DS loves Douglas Adams and hates PG Woodhouse, what should I buy for holiday reading

(21 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Jul-15 20:28:42

...he's not a natural reader, but on holiday and separated from his iPad he will get engrossed. He has chosen Dirk Gently, so far, but I need to load his kindle with 3 weeks worth of books. DH has proposed His Dark Materials - any other suggestions?

unaddfwyn Sat 18-Jul-15 20:29:58

I used to love John Wyndham at that age.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Sat 18-Jul-15 20:33:06

Terry Prattchet
Tom Holt

KatharineClifton Sat 18-Jul-15 20:34:48

Skulduggery Pleasant series should do the holiday. My two loved this series, great humour too apparently (I haven't read them).

stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Jul-15 20:35:12

Oh yes, John Wyndham is a good call. I never got into Terry Pratchett myself, but he might. I don't know Tom Holt - I will investigate.

TheQuestingVole Sat 18-Jul-15 20:35:57

Robert Rankin.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Sat 18-Jul-15 20:38:13

Was going to say Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt too. Similar sense of the ridiculous (althoug TP got more serious in later novels)

DeladionInch Sat 18-Jul-15 20:43:10

Neil Gaiman

FlossieTreadlight Sat 18-Jul-15 20:43:52

Neil Gaiman - completely brilliant

NotCitrus Sat 18-Jul-15 21:01:03

Pratchett. Some Neil Gaiman, but some is very dark and more for adults.

Piers Anthony?

UnspecialSnowflake Sat 18-Jul-15 21:03:26

Another vote for Terry Pratchett here.

PlasticGreenDinosaur Sat 18-Jul-15 21:17:51

Diana Wynne Jones might be worth a look - very readable fantasy.

Creatureofthenight Sat 18-Jul-15 21:22:49

Jasper Fforde is worth a look.

stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Jul-15 22:07:14

Lots of great suggestions - Thank you. He has read the Jasper fforde Nursery Crimes books, but not sure he would really get into Thursday Next.

Off to research the others.

Booksteensmagazines Sat 18-Jul-15 22:29:15

Two really good series:

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Balckman

stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Jul-15 22:39:46

Working my way through...

Philip Reeve I think he may have read some of.

Tom Holt - lots of books - where is a good place to start?

BlueChampagne Tue 21-Jul-15 12:52:51

Try Jasper Fforde's "The Last Dragonslayer".
"I Claudius"?
Sherlock Holmes

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 21-Jul-15 12:57:20

He might like Eoin Colfer, the Artemis Fowl series? Starts off with Artemis Fowl being a 12yo criminal mastermind (he's a boy) so he might like it.

Tom Holt - he's a bit hit and miss IMO, but I really liked Who's Afraid of Beowulf and Ye Gods! best of the ones I read. I gave up with him in the end because it felt too much like he tried too hard.

I second/third/fourth Terry Pratchett - start him with the Guards! Guards! book, probably.

CMOTDibbler Tue 21-Jul-15 12:58:46

The Jasper Fforde dragonslayer books are fab. I really enjoyed the Mortal Engines series, and if he likes something a bit scary, the Garth Nix books are v good.

Tom Holt - I'd start with Expecting Someone Taller.

On the Terry Pratchetts, try the Wee Free men first.

mrsmortis Wed 22-Jul-15 13:25:22

Another vote for Pratchett. Wee Free Men is a good place to start but if he can't deal with a female protagonist try Mort or Guards Guards. Good Omens is also good.

Are you close enough to London that he knows it fairly well? If so Gaiman's Neverwhere or Stone Heart etc by Fletcher are good as they are fantasy stories that are very much based in the real city.

I also like Jane Yolen's Dragon books. Anything by Garth Nix. Something like Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. Also The Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce (though lots of female protagonists here again)

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 22-Jul-15 15:03:37

Actually, I've just thought - he might like Terry Pratchett's Johnny series. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Maxwell They're about a boy who is 12 in the first book, so perfect age match. They're a bit "Just William-ish" but set in modern(ish) times, I love them. The gang in the Johnny books is pretty similar to the gang in Good Omens, but the story is pitched a little younger than Good Omens is (roughly based on the Omen films).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now