Jacqueline Wilson's the Illustrated Mum - what age

(10 Posts)
FuckitFay Sat 20-Jun-15 14:46:48

DD1 (just 8) picked this up today in the charity shop and i bought it without too much thought. Just had a look at the blurb and read the first chapter and think the issues might be too grown up - has anyone read it and tell me if I should withhold it until she's a bit older?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:52:47

If she has her head screwed on.

The gist of it is that the mum suffers from depression and hankers after a lost love who she tells her daughters fantastical stories about.

The girls have an odd upbringing and don't enjoy school etc.

For some reason they get taken into care and from there they find their actual dad (who is not what their mum had described.)

It's a good book about complex family relationships and how sometimes the best thing for somebody that you love is not the nicest option. A good one to think about.

FeelingSmurfy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:53:54

I would say that the issues in that one are a bit more severe than her other books, some of it will probably go over her head though. I would probably say 11/12 with that one, but 8 would be fine for most of her other books

FeelingSmurfy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:54:39

The reason they get taken in to care is the mum tries to kill herself

whitershadeofpale Sat 20-Jun-15 15:03:30

No the mum has a breakdown and they find her in the bath covered in white paint. I think it depends on your DD. I would say it's ok with conversation.

I think dd1 read it at 8/9. It's Wilson's best by a v long way imho. There was also a v good TV version of it, iirc.

Mmbop Sat 20-Jun-15 15:31:27

I was remembering reading this as a child recently. No idea why I wasn't more disturbed by it. I wouldn't let your DD read it. From what I remember, the mum has loads of tattoos and two daughters, by different dads both called Micky. Micky A comes back on the scene, his daughter is over the moon, so is the mum who thinks they'll get back together as he is the love of her life. He doesn't feel the same, instead takes his daughter back to live with him and leaves the mum with only daughter b. At this point she has some sort of breakdown, and daughter B finds her naked in the bathroom painted white from head to toe. I don't remember if she also tries to kill herself but this is the part that stuck in my mind. Assume daughter b calls an ambulance and is taken into care. Then she goes in search of her own dad Micky B and finds him and asks him to come and be with her mum as a sort of Micky-A replacement. he says no, that the mum was only with him because his name was Micky in the first place. Actually, as far as I remember his name is Michael but the mum asked to call him Micky confused anyway in the end I assume the mum gets better and comes home and daughter A comes home too, I think she's had her ears pierced but recounts a few sad stories about the dad going out and leaving her alone a lot and so she wanted to come home. Not sure if that's an accurate rebelling because I read it over ten years ago. I mean it was fine for me when I read it (think I was seven) but I look back like hmm tbh this is the case with a lot of Jacqueline Wilson books which I loved and still remember well but if it was my DD I'd make them wait a couple of years.

Mmbop Sat 20-Jun-15 15:33:07

Re-telling, sorry, not rebelling confused

FuckitFay Sat 20-Jun-15 15:44:07

Hmm. Some pretty adult issues there. She's a very sensible mature and thoughtful 8 so I might let her read with plenty of discussion about it. I think I will try and read it first myself so I can discuss it properly. We've recently had some discussion about children whose parents can't look after them for a variety of reasons and she showed interest and insight.

lljkk Sat 04-Jul-15 20:43:29

DD read it at age 8 or 9, but I think 11 is better. it's the best of JW's books imho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now