Suggest books for my soon to be 1 year old dd(diffifult as we already have quite an extensive collection)

(14 Posts)
indiana7 Wed 06-May-15 22:53:14

Dd2's 1st bday is coming up & we like giving books as part of pressie. However all the ones suitable for her we have as she has an older sister who adores books. All the classics like Dear Zoo, Tales from Acorn Wood, That's not my etc we have. Can you make some suggestions as to some new age appropriate ones, she loves lift the flap books & anything interactive.

PlayingHouse Thu 07-May-15 06:39:39

Not new age but all my children love the Shirley Hughes books. Especially Alfie and Annie and Rose.

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Thu 07-May-15 06:42:06

Press here. Can't remember who it's by- will google.

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Thu 07-May-15 06:42:50

Herve Tullet.

Mr Pusskins Numbers. DD loved this, it's essentially just "1 Mr Pusskins, 2 bees, 3 fish..." but we made it into a story with Mr Pusskins having an adventure along the way. DD loved it so much she was bringing it probably 20 times a day.

Shark in the park. No lift flaps but it is a bit interactive.

madamehooch Fri 08-May-15 08:42:44

Try the Pop - Up Peekaboo series by Dorling Kindersley. Very reasonably priced for novelty books too.

hobNong Fri 08-May-15 08:46:15

I've ordered a few books from letterbox library and they've all been a hit.

Jenni2legs Fri 08-May-15 08:51:00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Master-Shakespeare-BabyLit-Counting/dp/1423622057

I love these baby lit books, early 'skill' books (colours, shapes, counting), but based on classics...

duplodon Fri 08-May-15 09:00:08

My one year old really loves chunky board books with inbuilt puppets. There's a collection called Little Learners that has a really good selection of nursery rhymes and the pictures are really clear? His first word/phrase was baa baa baksh.

The Elephant and the Bad Baby... With lots of throwing him about for the rompeta rompeta bit.

Peace at Last.

Snore.

Farmer Duck.

jeee Fri 08-May-15 09:07:15

When my dc were that age, they liked familiar books. Although we had piles of books (mostly courtesy of charity shops), they probably only needed about 10-20 books. I think I'd be tempted to find a book in a charity shop, and save my money for later.

FWIW, their favourite books were the 'That's not my...', tedious for adults, but loved by toddlers.

duplodon Fri 08-May-15 09:26:27

It was bedtime in the jungle - this has great rhythm.

hugoagogo Fri 08-May-15 09:33:12

The mouse who ate the moon by Petr Horacek is lovely and goes down well with toddlers- I love his little stripey socks. grin

Not interactive, but really fun; is Toot by Leslie Patricelli.

Jenni2legs Fri 08-May-15 14:28:27

Also Calm Down Boris is great, it has a puppet that loves to tickle popping out the book.

CheeseEMouse Fri 08-May-15 16:47:47

Chris Haughton's "oh no George" in board book form. I also like Hugless Douglas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now