Agatha Christie for a 10 year old

(17 Posts)
MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 04-May-15 00:56:32

Dd is 10 and a great reader and would like to start on agatha Christie books. I don't know enough about them and she was such a prolific writer, can anyone recommend a good one to start with?

mmack Mon 04-May-15 01:06:13

I think the Miss Marple ones are quite gentle and funny. I would try Murder at the Vicarage or The Body in the Library. My dd is 13 now and she read lots of them at 10 and 11. She really liked The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. They are a good introduction to more adult literature.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 04-May-15 01:08:08

My DD is 11yo and I've been toying with the idea of introducing her to AC for a while now. I adore AC but can't think of a book that would suit at the moment as some of them are quite dark which (added to some complicated plotting and unfamiliar social/period details) I think would make them a tough read.
In the meantime DD has been thoroughly enjoying some Sherlock Holmes short stories.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 04-May-15 01:21:39

Thank you both. I will look at the miss marple ones and let dd pick. She's a fairly mature reader so we'll see how she get on. If they are beyond her, they'll come in later on. We buy a book a month and I'm running out of suggestions. Some of the kids section is too young, the teen books are too mature, she gets through 3 school library books a week and i didn't realise I'd struggle with suggestions for her at this age ....

PerspicaciaTick Mon 04-May-15 01:29:57

We're having similar problems too. DD chooses books about girls and puppies from school and then raids my shelves for classics (A traveller in time is her current fave) and I'm introducing her to nonfiction by people like Bill Bryson and also books of greek and norse myths and folklore.

Thinking about it, I might try her with a Lindsey Davis Falco book or two as they are very funny and only slightly gruesome.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 04-May-15 01:38:16

Bill Bryson is a great idea, I'll give her one of those too. She thought that Gerard Durrell was reasonable but she wasn't hooked like I was at her age.....

Canyouforgiveher Mon 04-May-15 02:12:49

Agatha Christie is fine for that age except you need to be aware that there is a lot of casual racism etc in her books - lots of negative stereotyping of jews, Irish, africans, working class etc. Typical of their time but jarring and inappropriate in ours. If my 10 year old was reading them, I'd read along and have the conversation about those views and why people held them and why they are wrong. But her plots etc are great fun for a good reader.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 04-May-15 02:30:47

Thank you for the tip Canyou, it will be a good discussion point.

schmalex Mon 04-May-15 06:44:07

Why doesn't she try Robin Stevens - Murder Most Unladylike, etc?

Booksteensmagazines Mon 04-May-15 07:14:30

There is a new series of books out by Robin Stevens Called Murder Most Unladylike and they are good and written in the style of Agatha Christie but for this age group so not dark and the two protagonists are school girls.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 04-May-15 12:24:26

Thank you both, I've not come across Robin Stevens, I'll have a look at them.

notplayers Mon 04-May-15 22:10:37

I think 10 is way too young for Agatha Christie and could just put them off a brilliant writer that they will enjoy in a few years if she isn't forced on them too early.
I agree, Murder most Unladylike would be a better place to start.

emmaMBC Wed 06-May-15 19:43:12

Oooo yes you should try the Robins Stevens series. A third one is out shortly too.

Also have a look at Ivy Pocket, another great mystery novel set in Victorian England with a most unusual heroine!

ragged Sat 09-May-15 09:05:32

I read most the Agatha Christie books when I was around that age...

Cat Royale books would be better, Sprite Sisters, Jane Blonde & Lady Grace mysteries are what DD was reading, adventures & mysteries & all.

AlmaMartyr Sat 09-May-15 09:09:45

I used to read loads of Agatha Christie at that age! Loved them.

ISaySteadyOn Sat 09-May-15 11:03:00

Me too. However, I would recommend The Secret Adversary and Partners in Crime about a young couple, Tommy and Tuppence. I think they are underrated as Agatha Christie novels and they are my favourites.

JasperDamerel Sat 09-May-15 11:07:38

I was going reccom end the Tommy and Tupoence ones, too. Also, the earlier books are better than the later ones. The 1920s and 30s Young people are all glamorous and full of energy, but by the 60s they are all dirty and lazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now