Books for school starters

(9 Posts)
NataliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Aug-14 10:41:06

September may be a fair way off but for those of you who have little ones about to make the transition from nursery to primary school, it may be difficult to keep the thought from your mind.

We've rounded up our best books for school starters to help you as you begin your journey through the school years. Let us know what you think of our selection and if you think we've missed a classic book off our list, share it on this thread.

Leeds2 Fri 01-Aug-14 13:52:31

One of the Topsy & Tim books is about starting school.

gingercat12 Mon 04-Aug-14 21:11:21

DS loved Janet and Allan Ahlberg's Starting School. He could recite all the names of the children, I could not miss a single one. He loved their activities, the rhythm of their days, weeks and terms. The only disappointment he had was that their class had no bunny rabbit to look after grin
I bought the book for our little nephews as well.

cjfriess Tue 05-Aug-14 13:01:42

My daughter loves Lucky Wish Mouse Starting School by Clara Vulliamy. It's beautifully illustrated, full of humour but it also deals sensitively and successfully with first day anxieties.

cjfriess Tue 05-Aug-14 13:04:31
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 09-Aug-14 21:48:19

Dad loved this one.

CheeseEMouse Tue 12-Aug-14 20:46:36

When I was a bit older I used to love "Please, Mrs Butler" a collection of poems. I can still remember all the words!

catkind Thu 21-Aug-14 21:22:06

Lauren Child - I am too small to go to school (Charlie and Lola)
is very sweet.

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 22-Aug-14 23:26:01

Splat the Cat! Bloody brilliant book about a cat starting school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now