June children's bookclub choice: Fortunately The Milk by Neil Gaiman - apply for free copy!

(56 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Jun-14 14:01:13

Neil Gaiman was recently described by the Sunday Times as 'the nearest thing children's books have to a Rock Star' and 2 million twitter followers are proof of his cult status. Fortunately the Milk... is a departure from many of his darker more macabre children's stories (think Coraline, The Graveyard book) but equally as fantastical and inventive.

A dad who nips out to buy a pint of milk is delayed by, among other things, dinosaurs, time travel and 'green globby things'. With superbly anarchic illustrations from Chris Riddell, this is perfect bedtime reading for children aged 8 + as well as Gaiman-fan parents (a great gift for Father's Day).

See Neil Gaiman reading an extract and if you fancy reading this with your Dcs apply for one of 50 free copies.

Everyone who accesses a free copy will be asked to post a review, join the discussion on this thread and/or tweet about the book using #Mumsnetbookclub.

ScarlettDarling Mon 02-Jun-14 14:30:55

Big Gaiman fans in this house...my 2 would love a copy!

dinkystinky Mon 02-Jun-14 15:10:49

Aah - we already have this (on my kindle with extra bits in)- its fab though and my 8 year old and 5 year old both love, love, loved it

cornflakegirl Mon 02-Jun-14 21:34:12

I would love a copy of Fortunately the Milk. We borrowed it from the library a few months ago - I was expecting it to be quite dark so was really surprised that it was mildly surreal and just really funny. DS1, who is 8, and more the target audience, also really enjoyed it. I'd like to read it to DS2, who is coming up 5, and I think old enough now to appreciate the silliness. And he would also love the illustrations - they are very clever, and a perfect match for the story.

Rachel - there was some talk of a webchat with Neil Gaiman - did anything come of it?

dinkystinky Tue 03-Jun-14 08:05:54

Bump - it really is a fab book.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Tue 03-Jun-14 08:19:32

Only just discovering Gaiman myself - don't what I have been doing all these years! Ds is just the right age to enjoy this book, it sounds fab.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 03-Jun-14 17:28:59

Have applied, fingers crossed. Think my ds would LOVE this!

RunsWithScissors Tue 03-Jun-14 18:25:59

Fingers crossed, love NG and would love to get my dd as a fan as well.

Ooh, I haven't seen this book.

I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman's work, especially some of his GNs like Harlequin Valentine.

DD particularly loves Chu's Day, but we find it hard to read her other favourite, Blueberry Girl, without me turning into a snivelling mess grin.

millililli Tue 03-Jun-14 21:22:32

Haven't come across this one before, but sounds great

almondfinger Tue 03-Jun-14 21:50:52

I'd love a copy please. Love Neil Gaiman.

Panicmode1 Tue 03-Jun-14 22:01:25

I'd love a copy too - desperate to stop my DS reading Minecraft comics!

MrsMot Tue 03-Jun-14 22:02:35

Oh this book is so so so good. We read it a few months ago, bloody brilliant!!!

CMOTDibbler Tue 03-Jun-14 22:07:04

We loved this!

Beehatch Tue 03-Jun-14 22:07:04

Someone mentioned the book on here recently and I've been meaning to look out for it. Sounds just up DDs street!

I'd love a copy please. DS is nearly 8 and this sounds like something he would really enjoy.

NataliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jun-14 12:51:48

This giveaway is now closed. We will contact those selected to receive a free copy via email. Be sure to let us know your thoughts on the book.

gildedlily Thu 12-Jun-14 11:18:41

Big thank you - just heard I'm getting a copy. Looking forward to reading it to my boys

frazzledbutcalm Thu 12-Jun-14 20:07:45

Received an email saying I'm getting a copy! Can't wait, ds is soooo excited! Thank you mumsnet! smile

sanfairyanne Thu 12-Jun-14 21:42:44

i loved this book. really funny.

ScarlettDarling Fri 13-Jun-14 21:30:19

My kids excited to hear we're getting a copy, many thanks. We'll be back soon with our review.

Britchic Sat 14-Jun-14 07:34:13

Oh, yes please, I'd absolutely love a copy! smile

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Wed 18-Jun-14 10:41:59

Our copy arrived this morning, thank you! Will read it with ds over the weekend smile

Permanentpanicmode Wed 18-Jun-14 11:52:13

(Am PanicMode1 but can't log in on my laptop with that username since the password change for some reason).

I received the copy this morning and have just read it - I will give it to my 9 and 10 year olds later for their review, but mine is below.

I haven't ever read any Neil Gaiman but I know that he is revered for his work and is something of a 'rock star' novelist (if that's not too awful an oxymoron!). I had high hopes for the book because so many people rave about his talent, but I confess to being fairly disappointed. I wanted it to be laugh out loud funny, but to me, it felt like something which was written fairly quickly, and which was only brought to life by the excellent illustrations of Chris Riddell. I felt if you took the drawings away, then the story was fairly poor. I loved the premise of the book - the idea of how he explains away his delay on his trip to buy the milk, and the reveal of how he constructed the story from the props around him on his return, but for me this wasn't engaging or funny enough to want to read and re-read it to my younger ones (4 and 6).

I will however see what the target audience think when they are back from school and ask them to write their own reviews.

Received our copy today, thank you! Do we review it on the reviews page linked above as well as here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now