Books about s ocial issues for ages up to 9

(4 Posts)
Authentique Sat 10-May-14 17:55:31

I am a lover of children's books, particularly those about social issues like disability etc. Of course there are many books about these topics for older children and teens, but I was wondering about books for the younger kids educating about these topics.

I found one that I can really recommend. It is called Peter's Asparagus by Angela Nicole Krause. It may be a U.S. publication but it's available on Kobo as an eBook so probably will be available through Amazon UK too. The book is about a young boy with Asperger's Syndrome. I couldn't find an age range recommendation but I'd say it's suitable for ages 4+ to be read aloud (I'm never good with this though).

Can anyone recommend any others?

threedeer Sat 10-May-14 23:31:50

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom is about Bradley Chalker, a school bully, why he behaves as he does, and how he overcomes it. It's a wonderful book by the fabulous writer Louis Sachar, famous for Holes. But I can't remember if it's entirely suitable for under 9s.

thegambler Sat 10-May-14 23:40:25

Is that what it's about. Eldest read it in class and youngest has just finished it likewise. Never knew what it was about.

emmaMBC Sun 11-May-14 19:32:40

The most infamous one at the moment would be Wonder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now