New ideas for dd aged 11

(23 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 07-May-14 21:37:59

She's a very able reader and devours books but lately she's been re-reading old favourites over and over again. Nothing wrong with that I know but I think she should be reading some new books too.

She's read in recent years:

Harry Potter
Little Women series
Anne of Green gables series
Charlotte Sometimes
Rooftoppers
Michael Morpurgo
Diana Wynne Jones - Charmed Life and Tale of Time City
Noel Streatfield
Sophie McKenzie - Girl Missing etc
Cathy Cassidy

She's also tried Malorie Blackman but didn't really like them.

She doesn't really like romance or supernatural. Any ideas?

Justinepants Wed 07-May-14 21:41:20

Philip Pullman?

purpleroses Wed 07-May-14 21:46:27

My DD has read most of that lot - but current favourite is the Hunger Games trilogy - she devoured them!

exexpat Wed 07-May-14 21:51:38

DD is 11 and has in the past year read:
Hunger Games trilogy
Noughts & Crosses trilogy
a gazillion books in the Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging series and other books by the same author
all the Cherub and associated books by Robert Muchamore
some of the Percy Jackson books
lots by Ali Sparkes
My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece (& at least one other by Annabel Pitcher)
Lauren St John books
Ruby Redfort books
the Bodyguard series (Chris Bradford)

I just asked her, and her two top tips are Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs), and Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson (she read that a while ago, but I think it would still appeal to 11yos).

Dancergirl Wed 07-May-14 21:57:21

Oh forgot about Eva Ibbotson, she's read a lot of hers!

exexpat Wed 07-May-14 22:00:27

One more - Wonder

Dancergirl Wed 07-May-14 22:02:12

We both read Wonder expat - amazing book

I suggested the Hunger Games to her - my 13 year old loves them, but dd isn't keen at the moment.

TittyNotSusan Wed 07-May-14 22:09:23

My DD has similar tastes and has also read
Flambards series
John Greene (Fault in our stars etc)
The Lost series
Judy Bloom
Skellig
Northern Lights

And definitely Hunger Games.

DD is 12 though, and Y7. I don't think she'd have read Hunger Games in Y6. I think she'd have thought it was too scary! Also she tried Noughts & Crosses in Y6 but didn't get it. She's now read the whole series and loved it.

Oakmaiden Wed 07-May-14 22:15:55

My 10 year old is enjoying the Dark is Rising series at the moment - Susan Cooper

Booksteensmagazines Thu 08-May-14 11:27:42

I've tried to list books without romance as the main theme or that are supernatural:

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick
Smart by Kim Slater
Dead Time by Anne Cassidy
My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher
Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff
All Fall Down by Sally Nichols
Theres a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar

Joan Aiken - Blackhearts in Battersea etc
Elizabeth Goudge - The Little White Horse
Ursula K Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea

Takver Thu 08-May-14 16:07:31

Has she read the Gerald Durrell books (My Family & other Animals etc), and/or James Herriot? My dd is just 12, and likes both.

Has she read all the other Diana Wynne Jones (Howls moving castle series, Homeward Bounders, Power of Three, etc etc)?

She might like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong trilogy (be aware this trilogy is written for YA but the rest of the Pern series are aimed at adults, mostly pretty harmless but a certain amount of sex in some of them).

If she likes Anne of GG, has she read the Emily of New Moon series?

DD really enjoyed A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean, & it looks like she's written quite a few books along the same lines.

My (horse loving) DD rejected Flambards when given it by her teacher as a yr 6 reading book as 'too soppy' !

Sherlock Holmes?

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 08-May-14 22:36:29

A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley?

see if you can get hold of a second hand copy of Moondial. Out of print now but I enjoyed it when I was that age - it was on TV too at one point and I found our copy in the loft recently.

Chopsypie Thu 08-May-14 22:46:25

How about Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer? There is about 6 of then now I think

emmaMBC Fri 09-May-14 12:02:55

How about ...
Whale Boy by Nicola Davies - adventure
The Meaning of Maggie - quirky, journal of 11 year old Maggie
Cowgirl set in Wales. A wholesome adventure, with a focus on friendship.
The Tiffin set in Bombay, India. Fabulous novel.

Terry Pratchett - Tiffany Aching books

Daisybelle6 Sat 10-May-14 13:02:52

The author of Rooftoppers has another book too, called Girl Savage and it is equally as good as Rooftoppers! Your DD may also be interested in some of the Hilary McKay books, especially the Saffy's Angel series smile

Dancergirl Thu 15-May-14 10:54:26

Thanks all, some really good suggestions.

daisy she's read the Saffy's Angel books, forgot about those! She actually tried Girl Savage but couldn't get into it.

I'm going to get some of the suggestions out the library for her.

revolutionarytoad Thu 15-May-14 20:31:55

Cynthia Voigt is fab. Dicey Tillerman series, or she could try A Solitary Blue first, which is part of the series but reads like a stand alone book. I think it's a bit of a love it or hate it book because it's quite sombre and dry to start with.....but that's just the personality of the main character, you do get into it.

Also....There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar is really great. Bit young for 11 perhaps but I just love it and I bet she would too if she likes reading so much.

The Tulip Touch, Goggle Eyes, Flour Babies by Anne Fine

Snail Mail No More by Ann M. Martin & Paula Danzigar

The Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor- think there's about 20 in the series, about a girl going from 11-17 years old, very funny, quirky

Anastasia books by Lois Lowry

revolutionarytoad Thu 15-May-14 20:34:42

Oops sorry booksteens and anyone else I've x-posted with!

Booksteensmagazines Thu 15-May-14 21:25:35

no worries - i like seeing other people recommending similar books

SecretSpi Fri 16-May-14 22:03:41

What about Alan Garner? The Owl Service etc. They are quite old but have stood the test of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now