Horrid Henry - a good role model?

(4 Posts)
comicsansisevil Mon 14-Apr-14 21:44:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Parietal Mon 14-Apr-14 21:42:33

i read one HH book to dd and was very unimpressed. all HH does it hate school, hate spelling and play tricks on other children. i won't be getting any more!

any ideas for fun books with positive children? Daisy and the trouble with ... is a bit better but not much.

Thinking outside of the stories - A continuation of love of reading?

everysizecrocs Mon 14-Apr-14 21:24:20

Maybe I should start this thread in the parenting section, rather than the children's book section, but here goes ...

My DS's classroom has several Horrid Henry books on the library shelf. DS (7) enjoys them and often brings them home. Trouble is, DS is a bit of a rogue, and Horrid Henry's attitude and antics are a bit too close to home for my liking. I suspect that's why DS likes them so much - he identifies with HH. That wouldn't matter so much if there was some positive message to be gained from the books - maybe if HH learnt a lesson or two along the way - but unless I've missed it, he doesn't. He's just as obnoxious at the end of each book as he was at the start, and yet somehow that's ok because everyone else in his life is obnoxious too, and you can't help feeling they all deserve each other.

So, apart from a few uncomfortable laughs, is there anything positive to be gained from these books? Help me out here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now