Any reading suggestions for 12 year old DS?

(17 Posts)
castlesintheair Sun 13-Apr-14 15:33:33

The last books he read (all 6 in about 2 weeks) were the Jamie Johnston football series. He loved them. This was before Christmas. He's been given other books since (Charlie Fletcher Stonehart trilogy type thing) but says they are boring though I've never seen him actually looking at them. He mostly reads football/sport magazines and newspapers and the stuff he has to read for school (he is at a French one). He's read lots of Michael Murpurgo books and lots of 11+ prep type books such as Carrie's War, mostly reluctantly.

He's clever but lazy and loves all sport. He was never really been into imaginative play when younger but is a prolific story writer/illustrator now and loves a good laugh.

Any suggestions to light his fire?

Elysianfields Sun 13-Apr-14 15:44:41

Biographies of famous sports players he likes? The ones with the least racy backgrounds!

Delphiniumsblue Sun 13-Apr-14 16:01:02

Anthony Horowitz.

Merrylegs Sun 13-Apr-14 16:05:16

Sounds like

Merrylegs Sun 13-Apr-14 16:08:51

Sorry, meant sounds like my DS.

He enjoyed Micheal Lawrence (writes the Jiggy McCue books) plus Andy Griffiths Bumaggedon series (awful titles but funny and not as dumb as they sound).

Plus a book called Snakes Elbows which he actually read three times for some reason.

MissSmiley Sun 13-Apr-14 16:09:15

Lemony Snickett series. 13 books. My nearly 12 year old son loves them.

castlesintheair Sun 13-Apr-14 19:20:11

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just ordered Theo Walcott's biography and The Diary of Adrian Mole. I'll get to re-read the latter at least! Merry Legs, he's read a Jiggy McCue book and enjoyed it so thanks for the reminder. I'll check out Andy Griffiths and all other suggestions.

Any more ideas? He's just informed me he doesn't like fantasy/sci-fi so I presume Anthony Horowitz is out?

jeee Sun 13-Apr-14 19:22:23

My DS loved Alex Ryder. It's more spy than sci-fi.

Terry Pratchett?

AndiPandi Tue 15-Apr-14 13:37:47

Hunger Games?
Spooks?
Skulduggery Pleasance?

Not sure if these would be considered fantasy/sci-fi though

Takver Tue 15-Apr-14 17:31:41

There's a series called The Rugby Zombies which I know dd found funny, might be worth investigating.

emmaMBC Sun 20-Apr-14 10:26:52

Have you tried Jack Gantos fantastic writer, aimed perfectly at this age group.

Louise1956 Thu 01-May-14 07:49:29

when no.2 son was 12, his favourite author was Eoin Colfer, especially the Artemis folw series. he also enjoyed Anthony horowitz, especially the. Power of Five series and the Alex rider books. the jimmy coates series by. Joe Craig were popular with him too. No.3 son's favourite books at that age were the how to Train Your Dragon books by Cressida cowell.

ladydepp Fri 02-May-14 13:03:26

Not sure they've been mentioned but what about books by Robert Muchamore - Cherub and Hendersons' boys series

My DS also loves the Jimmy Coates books by Joe Craig. DS is 11.

IndianMummy Fri 02-May-14 13:54:10

His Dark Materials Trilogy - by Phillip Pullman...
It might take him a little while to get into - but if he gives it a chance, he might just love them...

pinkhousesarebest Fri 02-May-14 14:57:49

My ds is is also at a French school and it took him ages to get into reading, but he has just read 6 books in a week and my dh is now getting antsy about his amazon habit. I second Alex Ryder, Percy Jackson, Suzanne Collins (not the Hunger Games but a new three part series that he has just devoured). Holes by Louis Sachar, The Benedict Society series, Wonder ( a bit American). Can't remember the author. He also liked the Henderson boys.

schmalex Sat 03-May-14 06:01:43

Neil Arksey has written a few football related novels for that age group. One is called Brooksie but there are others.
He's 'Nick Hornby for kids'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now