Child friendly book festivals

(14 Posts)
reallybusymummy Wed 02-Apr-14 20:18:25

Hi, we are based in the Midlands and looking for child friendly book festivals to which to take a 5 year old. Suggestions and experiences very welcome

DuchessofMalfi Wed 02-Apr-14 21:50:31

Hay Festival @ Hay in Wye? Not been but think it should be child friendly. Hay is lovely place, just never got round to going to festival.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 02-Apr-14 21:51:24

That should be Hay on Wye ...

No use for you now (and depends on whether you fancy trekking down), but there's a children's book festival on the South Bank in London every February half term.

iwantavuvezela Wed 02-Apr-14 22:00:27

Yes Hay festival, google and you can see the childrens programme. We had a great time there 2 years ago. You can camp very near the festival. Loads to do, authors giving talks, workshops etc.

Booksteensmagazines Wed 02-Apr-14 22:38:33

There are quite a few literary festivals with a children's 'section' - I'm not sure of the exact dates of all of them but have a look at Cheltenham, Cambridge, Bath Kids Lit, Oxford, Cardiff Children's Festival. There are also smaller local festivals which I have seen advertised - maybe try a local bookshop for something closer to you?

slp123 Fri 04-Apr-14 06:59:16

there is one at Luton hoo. I have no idea what it is like but would be interested to hear from anyone who has been as thinking of going.

Booksteensmagazines Sun 06-Apr-14 19:55:20

slp123 - It looks good and has a good line up unlike some other book festivals is solely aimed at children although from the programme it covers from young children through to teens. Also it is only one day long so probably more manageable. I was checking the teen elements so just make sure that there's interactive and fun stuff for a five year old - they were tweeting today that they had sold their first 100 tickets

slp123 Sun 06-Apr-14 21:06:27

Thanks. Will have a check...

ICantFindAFreeNickName Sun 06-Apr-14 21:10:49

The Hay festival is fantastic. We have been a couple of times and loved it. You do need to book some of the more popular authors very quickly though.

The Hay Festival sounds fantastic! This is the first year I've heard about it.

I live in Bath so felt it was my obligation to provide a link for the Bath Kids Lit Fest :]
bathfestivals.org.uk/childrens-literature/

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 03-Jun-14 11:29:56

If you haven't managed to get to a festival yet try the Stoke Literary Festival.

London Road Festival is on this weekend and has a Literary Fringe which you might like smile

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sat 07-Jun-14 14:30:52

Hay Hay Hay Hay Hay Hay Hay Hay Hay. Hay.

I can't wait to take the DCs. Haven't been for a few years but they're getting old enough now. DD will be 5 by the time of next year's festival.

GreenShadow Mon 09-Jun-14 23:04:23

I would second Cheltenham in October - they have lovely events over two weekends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now