Harry Potter for seven year old

(29 Posts)
Laura0608 Mon 31-Mar-14 13:07:22

My son is a very good reader and is utterly obsessed with Harry Potter. He has been reading my old copies and he has now finished the third and wants to start the fourth (Goblet of Fire). I'm just worried that it may be too mature for him. It is 600 odd pages, there is death and it's a lot darker than the previous three books. He is very mature for his age and has seen all the films so knows what to expect but I was hoping for some opinions?

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Apr-14 21:04:48

blush was as I can't remember the books name!!

BertieBotts Tue 15-Apr-14 21:06:57

I have this grand plan that I'm going to be cruel and let DS read the first two, then wait 6 months for book 3 and a year for every other book from then on just like I had to grin Thinking that might spread them out adequately, he hasn't started reading books that long yet though.

marne2 Tue 15-Apr-14 21:07:46

Depends on the child. My dd1 read them when she was 8, she loved them and has read them over and over for the past 2 years, I have now let her have the hunger game books ( she's 10 ) which she loved reading.

She also enjoyed the beast quest books when she was 7 and she also likes the Percy Jackson books.

misssmapp Tue 15-Apr-14 21:09:51

Ds1 ( 9) has now read all the books. From Goblet of fire on, He read some and I read some to him ( at his request) He also used to ask me to read the sadder/scarier bits!!

I think he started reading them at about 7, so was prob on book 4 at 8 ish.

Now he is nagging to watch the last three films- I think they are too dark for him yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now