10 year old dd stuck for ideas

(46 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 12-Mar-14 17:45:08

Please, any unusual/ less heard of suggestions.

She has read all the classics, that I can think of.
Most of the modern books that appeal to her.
She's not into Jaqueline Wilson or Twighlight.
She's not into Lord of the ring.

Most recent reads have been The incorrigibles.

She reads a book a day on average.
Sorry, not stealth boast, she is H.ed and has lots of time to read.

offblackeggshell Wed 12-Mar-14 17:49:01

Has she tried the Ruby Redfort books? DD is also 10, and reads them over and over. Amazon linky

Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series

Roger Llancellyn Green's tales of Greek/Norse/King Arthur legends

justsodamntired Wed 12-Mar-14 17:54:38

I was a similarly avid reader and a family friend introduced me to David Eddings Belgariad series when I was 10. Then the Mallorean. I adored them!

morethanpotatoprints Wed 12-Mar-14 17:56:12

Yes, she's read Ruby Redford books.
Forgot to say, we are very lucky and have a great local library.
She was a bit mad that they weren't fragranced by the time she got them. grin

Dark is rising looks good, I will have a look at these.

I'm not sure about Green's tales, I think she read one last year, but will have a look.

That's the trouble as well, I'm not always sure what she has read.

Takver Wed 12-Mar-14 18:01:42

Edward Eager Half Magic books (Thyme Garden is another, can't recall all the titles)
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own making + sequels
Fly by Night and anything else by Frances Hardinge
A Dog Called Homeless & others by the same author
Diana Wynne Jones if she hasn't read them - Chrestomanci series, Power of Three, Homeward Bounders etc etc
Assume she has read all of Noel Streatfield, Iva Ibbotson etc

Wasn't sure from your OP whether she did or didn't like modern books?

BendyBusBuggy Wed 12-Mar-14 18:19:35

Has she read all the lindgren books? Like the brothers lionheart or mio, my mio, or Ronia, robbers daughter?

Neverending story by Michael Ende?

emmaMBC Wed 12-Mar-14 19:44:01

Ooooo love hearing about energetic readers!!

I whole heartily recommend;
The Secret Henhouse Theatre
Rooftoppers ( it's on lots & lots of shortlists at the moment)
Ophelia & the Marvellous Boy
Whale Boy
Maggot Moon also popping up on award lists
Wonder absolutely amazing novel

Most of these are from the last 18months.

Would love to hear how she gets on!

morethanpotatoprints Wed 12-Mar-14 20:33:56

Wow, thank you for the suggestions, she hasn't read many of these.
I guess its a trip to the library and amazon.

emmaMBC

She didn't touch a book for about 18 months after leaving school, a bit of a radical approach but was willing to try anything, she just wouldn't read. Pippy Longstocking followed by all 21 famous Five and she was away. She hasn't stopped since.
I will let you know when she starts War and Peace grin

Thank you all, I'm compiling a list now. thanks

sandiy Wed 12-Mar-14 20:48:48

Tiffany aching series by terry pratchet.Starting with wee free men.Ive got two that read constantly now is the time to join the library I order in all sorts for them to try.Roald Dahl is always a good choice as well.There are quite a few less popular choices.Laura in galls wilder little house series.
I've had it on good authority that water stones has a kids club and children that attend get to read samples.apparently it's great.

babybythesea Wed 12-Mar-14 20:54:30

At that age I loved Back Home by Michelle Magorian. Goodnight Mr Tom also good but you might want to check it out first as some bits are distressing.
When you say classics, do you include Anne of Green Gables? If so, there's another series by the same author which starts with Emily of New Moon, which is fantastic.
And has she tried Just William?
And my final recommendation, if she hasn't already read them, are 101 Dalmations and the sequel, The Starlight Barking. Forget Disney. The books are ace, and not designed for the 3 year olds the movies are aimed at.

notnowImreading Wed 12-Mar-14 21:40:32

A few that I remember really loving at that age are Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr (about a girl who is ill in bed and entertains herself by drawing a house then has dreams that seem to bring her drawing to life - very sinister); Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope someone (Lively? Farmer? - a time travel/ghost story); Howl's Moving Castle and The Nine Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones; the Green Knowe books by Lucy M Boston (a bit younger but still great if she likes Famous Fives etc, but save until nearer Christmas because the Christmassy element is just lovely); John Wyndham books - The Chrysalids and Chocky were favourites. Ten's a great age for books. You can read everything.

notnowImreading Wed 12-Mar-14 21:42:38

Ooh, and I loved Gemma and Her Sisters (theatre school books) and Trebizon boarding school books. I am guessing that some of these are pretty dated but I don't think it matters, really.

Elizabeth Goudge "The Little White Horse"
Ursula le Guin "A Wizard of Earthsea"
Anything by Joan Aiken
Swallow and Amazons
Gerald Durrell

Second The Dark is Rising and Green Knowe series.

The Prisoner of Zenda
The Scarlet Pimpernel

Little Women

TheTwins at St Clares series

Lemony snicket

The babysitters club series

Can you sue your parents for malpractice

Theres a bat in bunk five

Books by Anne.Fine

Oo and all the Anne of Green Gables ones...

I blame the Dark is Rising for me ending up, 10 years later, doing English at Oxford. They gave me the bug. I can still recite the poem now: 'When the Dark is Rising, six shall turn it back; Three from the circle, three from the track...'

smile.

Me too stinkingbishop, though I went to the other place! I had it from the school library; must get it for myself so I can re-read it! Looking forward to the DSs being old enough for it.

OP has she read any Alan Garner?

elliebe13 Thu 13-Mar-14 15:31:59

Anything by Tamora pierce. There's a few series of kickass heroines set in a fantasy realm.

But bluechampagne I bet you didn't whittle your own your own wood sign and decorate it with an entire bottle of your DM's best sparkly nail varnish wink.

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;
Six Signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold;
Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;
Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.

I still get all shivery when I'm in Wales (we're just over the border). Cader Idris! Bran! The Pendragon! I think there is still a bit of me that's just as mental as my ten year old self smile.

joanofarchitrave Thu 13-Mar-14 21:16:46

The Swish of the Curtain
Molesworth
Treasure Island
Jane Eyre

and just a push for All but a Few and A Necklace of Raindrops - previous poster mentioned Joan Aiken but she's written so many and these arewere my favourites.

Du Maurier too.

YuccanLiederHorticulture Thu 13-Mar-14 22:44:10

Anne of Green Gables
Various books by Iva Ibbotson
K M Peyton
William Nicholson

stinkingbishop you've got me there grin

I think there's another verse, with 'the silver eyes that see the wind' in it ...

Second Du Maurier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now