Lucy & Tom's Christmas

(12 Posts)
everysizecrocs Mon 14-Apr-14 21:09:37

Oops, just took our copy to the charity shop last week. Hope they manage to get a good price for it rather than letting a dealer pick it up for £1 and re-sell it on Amazon at Christmas.

MILLYmo0se Sun 13-Apr-14 10:37:50

oh we had 'Helpers' as kids, still have my very battered, sellotaped copy ! I have a shelf of 'my' childrens books - as opposed to DDs copies and those I use for work and SH makes up a good percentage of it .

MrsBartlet Fri 28-Mar-14 10:05:14

Yes, I have Alfie's Christmas and it is very similar to Lucy and Tom's Christmas, although not quite as good (I feel awful saying that as I adore Shirley Hughes!)

We have a secondhand copy of Moving Molly (another one of her old ones) which is great. I also love the Trotter Street books. However, none can beat Dogger which is the best picturebook ever, in my humble opinion wink

BehindTheScenesAtTheMumseum Mon 24-Mar-14 22:48:36

It's such a lovely book, I can't understand why it is out of print. Has anyone got her new one, Alfie's Christmas and noticed how similar it is to Lucy and Tom's Christmas?

Another of hers that I love is Helpers. I found a pristine hardback copy in a charity shop a few years ago.

Her books are just so lovely and familiar and comforting, I adore them all.

MrsBartlet Fri 14-Mar-14 09:21:18

I couldn't part with my copy of Lucy and Tom's Christmas. I bought it before we had the children in preparation for the Christmases to come. I still read it every Christmas although normally to myself now as the dc are 16 and 13 grin

One of the most thoughtful presents I have ever had from my dc was a 1960 hardback copy of Lucy and Tom's Day as they knew how much I love Shirley Hughes.

HanSolo Fri 14-Mar-14 00:33:28

I love this book! So hard to get hold of usually, but I got a copy a few years ago, and am very glad I did.
I like all of Shirley Hughes' work tbh.

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Fri 14-Mar-14 00:30:48

Oh I love it, Jane; we used to have it & I do hope it's in a box in the attic

Shirley Hughes was on R4's programme about Kaye Webb (Puffins) this week & mentioned Lucy & Tom's Day, which is set where she lived at the time - NOTTING HILL!!!!

I somehow never got that vibe from it grin

JanePurdy Fri 14-Mar-14 00:23:28

Bad English. My list is not constant. But the existence of the list is constant.

JanePurdy Fri 14-Mar-14 00:22:09

Buying! I have a constant list of books I want to get for the DC. Maybe wrongly I assumed others did too!

Mintyy Thu 13-Mar-14 20:36:35

On anyone's list for what?

BaconAndAvocado Thu 13-Mar-14 20:34:32

Oh, it's a beautiful book and a favourite in our Christmas book box.

It's such a simple, low key story but, like all Shirley Hughes books, carries a very meaningful message.

JanePurdy Tue 11-Mar-14 22:51:23

PSA - now is the time of year to buy Lucy and Tom's Christmas! I was looking for a copy in Nov and they were selling at £20+ - just got one for £4 off Amazon, & there were loads of used copies available for a few quid. Just in case it's on anyone's list smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now