Gangsta Granny - for a 6yo? This is awkward [spoiler alert]

(8 Posts)
RomulanBattleBagel Mon 10-Mar-14 21:17:07

DD pointed this out in a bookshop the other day as she'd heard about it at school. I said it was probably a bit old for her (was on 9-12yo shelf) but that I'd look into it.

It transpired later that her teacher is reading it to the class (yr2) so I felt a bit silly for having guided her away from it.

Out of interest, I looked it up to get an idea of the plot. Generally sounds fab, but a lot of the reviews say how sad it is at the end because of [spoiler alert] granny dying of cancer.

My DD is really sensitive and anything about death freaks her right out. Not only that, but my Nan died of cancer less than a year ago, and DD has really struggled with this and is really terrified of anything to do with death.

I've simply said to DD that if they get to the end of the book at school and she still likes it, then we can buy it at some point. I don't want to mention the sad ending to DD because knowing her she will then get anxious every time they read any in class. But I don't want to leave her totally unprepared for it either.

I am a little surprised the teacher (who is wonderful BTW) has chosen this TBH. Not sure what to do. I'm not sure if most 6/7yos would manage it, and hey maybe in a full classroom with her friends it'll be just fine - but, knowing the way DD's worries play out generally, it might all spill out at bedtime and in nightmares.

Sorry for the epic waffle. WWYD? Just leave it or talk to her teacher and risk singling DD out?

RomulanBattleBagel Mon 10-Mar-14 21:19:09

Alternatively, should I be looking on this as an opportunity for her to deal with the subject in a 'safe' way? Maybe it will accomplish what I haven't been able to with her?

jojack17 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:27:59

It's a tricky one isn't it? I recently read 'The demon dentist' with my 7 year old daughter after her 10 year old brother raved about it. She loved it, but when we got to a vv sad incident near the end, she was inconsolable. I would have a word with your daughter's teacher, just so that she's prepared incase your daughter does get upset.

emmaMBC Tue 11-Mar-14 11:00:29

David Walliams handles this really well in Gangsta Granny. I would definitely have a word with the teacher so she / he can be prepared - I imagine they are anticipating a discussion at the very least around this. The best outcome will be that the reading of Gangsta Granny will help your daughter even further - understanding her emotions.

RomulanBattleBagel Tue 11-Mar-14 11:45:25

Thanks both. I'm hoping it will help - but you're both right, I should have a word with the teacher (non-confrontation ally obviously) smile

tiredandsadmum Tue 11-Mar-14 11:54:32

I know all of the yr 4's at DS school are reading the David Walliams books and they are fabulous for that age group. Yr 2 does seem a bit early.

aliciaflorrick Tue 11-Mar-14 12:05:02

My DS1 who is 11 can't seem to read a David walliams book without sobbing his heart out at some point. I always say keep reading for the happy ending. Both DCs love David walliams so I think he deals with these things very well. I love a good weepy book.

Swimmingwithsharks Tue 11-Mar-14 16:27:52

My 6 year old has read all the David Walliams books. I was a bit dubious of the story lines of the books, but just flick through them or google reviews to see if you think they would be suitable. He doesn't seem to be bothered by sad story lines! I ask him about various stories and he will say that it is sad but that is life! He said he felt sorry for the characters or the family that they left behind when they died, but no sobbing...yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now