Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

What books can your 10 year old boy not put down?

(29 Posts)
TheSumofUs Tue 04-Mar-14 15:12:36

Desperately seeking inspiration smile

Thanks

Ange1972 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:27:08

My son is 11 he has loved all of David Walliams' books. Otherwise I'm afraid his head is stuck in minecraft books! Lol wink

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 04-Mar-14 15:29:45

Artemis Fowl
The Roman Mysteries
Alex Rider
Percy Jackson

All I can think of right now. Ds2 got the Roman Mysteries series for Christmas and he has devoured 12 of them so far. I think they do a set of the first ten on the a Book People website.

colette Tue 04-Mar-14 15:30:20

Varjak Paw- SF Said 'Varjak Paw is a Mesopotamian Blue kitten. He lives high up in an old house on a hill. He's never left home, but then his grandfather tells him about the Way - a secret martial art for cats.

Now Varjak must use the Way to survive in a city full of dangerous dogs, cat gangs and, strangest of all the mysterious Vanishings.'
His favourite book.

wearymum200 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:28:17

Not yet 10, but loved most of the Alex Riders, Edge Chronicles, Biggles, Predator Cities, Mr Stink, Machine Gunners.

invicta Tue 04-Mar-14 19:37:42

Rob child - football themed
TJ books - theo walcott books
James Patterson - Middle Year books - current favourite

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 04-Mar-14 19:50:50

Michelle Paver Wolf brother series

SwingYourPantsNow Wed 05-Mar-14 00:08:59

My eldest ds is 10, and he's really into all the David Walliam's books right now. Mr Stink. The Boy In The Dress, Demon Dentist, Billionaire Boy to name a few titles. He loves them.
He also loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and Harry Potter.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 05-Mar-14 00:20:12

Captain Underpants
David Walliams
Minecraft
The Secret Diary of Pig

Freckletoes Wed 05-Mar-14 03:06:34

My almost 10 yr old is devouring The Lion Children by the McNeice children. I found it in a charity shop-it is their tale of being whisked off to Botswana by their mother to live. He is loving it-but animals and travel are his things!

TheSumofUs Wed 05-Mar-14 04:11:08

Thank you these are all awesome
Am off to find them and stock his shelf

emmaMBC Wed 05-Mar-14 18:05:29

Have you tried the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy?

They've got quite the following by this age group .... plus I think there are about 8 in the series now!!

ladygracie Wed 05-Mar-14 18:06:56

The Big Nate books (there's loads of them)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
David Walliams

kimlo Wed 05-Mar-14 19:28:32

10 year old dd2 has just read goodnight mr tom and she said its the best book she has ever read.

IndridCold Thu 06-Mar-14 10:43:41

The Cressida Cowell Hiccup series were much loved at that age. Also, Jiggy McCue. Both funny.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 06-Mar-14 10:49:25

wimpy kid
percy jackson
skulduggery pleasant
alex rider series
cherub series - aimed more at 12+ and also Henderson's Boys

MNBirminghamLocalEd Thu 06-Mar-14 10:50:04

Hope this isn't too cheeky, but I've got a teacher doing a live Webchat over on Mumsnet Birmingham at 1pm today:

local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_birmingham_sutton_coldfield/2010155-Is-your-child-a-reluctant-reader-Speak-to-reading-expert-Anne-Kitchin-about-how-to-enthuse-new-readers-in-our-Webchat

Her speciality is getting children enthusiastic about reading, and she'll do personal recommendations.

gnushoes Thu 06-Mar-14 10:51:00

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd. Just read it: he says it's the best book ever.

GooseyLoosey Thu 06-Mar-14 10:51:46

Would second Skillduggery Pleasant. DS loved them.

He also loved the Mysterious Benedict Society books by Trenton Lee

The Wolvern books by Di Toft

The Psuedonymous Bosch books.

The Series of Unfortunate Event books by Lemmony Snickett

Ds won't read things like the Alex Rider books as he finds them too violent. He has read all of the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer but found them a bit samey after a while.

MellowYellowWag Thu 06-Mar-14 10:54:41

Alex Ryder series
Big Nate books
Any David walliams
Holes by Louis Sachar
Wimpy Kid series
Young Sherlock Holmes series
Tom Gates books
Famous Five books

AmysTiara Sat 08-Mar-14 21:16:16

My list is ver similar to mellowyellowwag. Plus i am not a loser by Barry loser, Middle School by James Patterson, The Secret series by Enid Blyton and Harry Potter

DoItTooJulia Sat 08-Mar-14 21:21:59

Yy, Percy Jackson, Alex Rider, wimpy Kid. Also Oksa Pollack, the Last Dragon Chronicles and the follow on from Percy Jackson that I can't remember the name of.

Great thread. My 9 up ds is a book fiend! It costs me a fortune in kindle books!

CQ Sat 08-Mar-14 21:25:55

DS loved the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan (I quite liked them too!), and the Spook's Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney.

jojack17 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:30:59

Wimpy kid, James Patterson, Tom gates, lemony snicket, the donut diaries series, big Nate, the world according to norm...

Slapntickleothewenches Tue 11-Mar-14 12:56:32

Much of the above but also
Young James Bond series by Charlie Higson
Gladiator series by Simon Scarrow

And just starting on Eragon whose authors name escapes me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now