Good story books aimed at girls about starting school?

(13 Posts)
ilovecolinfirth Sun 02-Mar-14 15:59:01

Hi, any ideas? I want to pick up a book for a little girl's fourth birthday. I have loads of ideas for boys due to having sons but no idea about a book based around a girl.

HypodeemicNerdle Sun 02-Mar-14 17:49:10

No helpful answers but I'm also interested as my DD starts school in September. She has older siblings but will be one of the youngest in the year so something like this would be good for her

slp123 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:20:45

We have a couple my DD enjoyed but they are in her bedroom and she is sleeping. Will have a google or add them tomorrow ...

invicta Sun 02-Mar-14 20:24:05

Topsy and tim start school.

www.amazon.co.uk/topsy-tim-start-school/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=topsy%20%26%20tim%20start%20school&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atopsy%20%26%20tim%20start%20school

slp123 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:44

Starting school Janet and Alan ahlberg
Usbourne starting school sticker book
Starting school Caryn Jenner

These were all enjoyed and helpful in the run up to starting school although not necessarily about girls specifically.
HTH

mrssmiling Sun 09-Mar-14 16:02:38

There is a Charlie and Lola book which you might like - Lola starts school.
'I am too absolutely small for school' - my DD really liked it, and also the Ahlberg book 'Starting School' mentioned already - a classic!

gingercat12 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:46:20

Starting School by Janet and Alan Ahlberg. DS learnt all the children's names by heart. The only problem with it was that he was a little bit disappointed when his class did not have a pet rabbit smile

Miapia Wed 26-Mar-14 11:40:05

Hiya. I have a 4 year old girl and she loves quirky books,that are a bit different and not stereotypical 'girl's books. I am asked this alot at book parties, check out these links as think she may like the look of these! Good luck and let me know if you want any other recommendations.

Kite princess cd book (about a tomboy princess)
Real princess( fun story with maths games)
Ruby's walk to school

http://store.barefootbooks.com/uk/ruby-s-school-walk-4050.html?bf_affiliate_code=000-01gn

http://store.barefootbooks.com/uk/the-real-princess-2.html?bf_affiliate_code=000-01gn

http://store.barefootbooks.com/uk/the-kite-princess-4069.html?bf_affiliate_code=000-01gn

I think there's a gap in the market here for personalised books ... alas I'm not the one to fill it! Would make a lovely leaving present from pre-schools.

We had Martha and the Bunny Brothers by Clara Vulliamy from the library recently. Dd really really liked it, so I thought it was worth mentioning. One of the themes is the little brothers who get left at home when Martha starts school, May or may not be relevant for you.

OldRoan Thu 27-Mar-14 21:22:26

Don't think they are still in print, but if you can find a second hand copy of the Melanie Brown stories by Pamela Oldfield they are really nice to read to a child (will be too tricky at this stage to read alone).

traininthedistance Tue 01-Apr-14 13:29:41

The rhymes from Ahlberg's Please, Mrs Butler are lovely smile

There's a Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs story about his first day at school which is quite sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now