Job interview - best book to read to preschoolers?

(33 Posts)
MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 11:09:25

I have a job interview and have to take a book I would read to pre-schoolers. I was thinking "We're going on a bear hunt", "The Gruffalo", "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", or "Dear Zoo" (too babyish?). There are just too many books to choose from! What would you pick?

AfroditeJones Wed 26-Feb-14 11:10:57

Bear hunt.

MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 11:17:09

Thank you! Bear Hunt is top of my list, I think.

ReallyTired Wed 26-Feb-14 11:20:16

My daughter likes "Little Rabbit Foo Foo" by Michael Rosin.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOT4T2jDho

Its not particularly educational though, but its good fun. Prehaps it would be risky to use at interview.

Many of the books you have suggested are too obvious and likely that pre schoolers with reasonably engaged parents would already know these stories. I think you need to think how you would use these stories to make it intersting to the children.

What job are you going for? The Hungry Catapillar has more educational value. The pre schoolers can learn counting and the days of the week as well as the life cycle of the butterfly. Prehaps they could use playdough to make catapillars.

Thesimplethings Wed 26-Feb-14 11:20:24

Both mine love little lumpty. It's a good story and has lots of scope for discussion, alternative rescues etc.

It's the only book my 3 and 2 year olds request and talk about all the time.

I've not read the bear hunt, will have to look for it.

drwitch Wed 26-Feb-14 11:20:42

some dogs do

MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 11:31:16

It is a library job so a book I would read at a storytime session.

AfroditeJones Wed 26-Feb-14 11:40:51

Handa's surprise

A storytime session we once went to at the library used My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes (obviously there were others, but that's the one that's stuck in my head years later). It's got a good rhyming structure, entertaining pictures and the cats appeal to children at that age.

SpiderStacy Wed 26-Feb-14 11:45:35

Going on a Bear Hunt - there's a clip on Youtube of Michael Rosen reading it. It's hilarious. And you could argue that it teaches prepositions, the children could be encouraged to join in the actions, it could inspire all kinds of craft projects and adaptations, talking about feelings (fear) etc.

madamehooch Wed 26-Feb-14 16:51:44

Once upon a Time or Pirate Pete both by Nick Sharratt. They're books where the children can decide what happens next. I've used them many times with preschools and Key Stage 1 and they might make you stand out a bit from everyone else who will be using Bear Hunt:-)

MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 20:20:42

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have some thinking to do...!

shoom Wed 26-Feb-14 20:32:09

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/074453643X

Walking through the jungle

Marcipex Wed 26-Feb-14 21:56:01

Hairy Maclairy is our preschool favourite , funny and rhymes so easy to read well.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 26-Feb-14 22:10:27

I would also suggest something a bit different.. here are some of our favourites grin

the tiger that came to tea

peace at last

funnybones

the fish who could wish

winnie the witch

burgular bill

suddenly

hairy mclary

the golden egg

or keeping with julia donaldson tabby mctat, the troll, smartest giant in town are also good but less well known.

sorry we read ALOT probably have over 250 kids books!

DeWe Thu 27-Feb-14 09:30:36

I would go for The Night Pirates. It's fun to read and very engaging for children.

MollyTheCat Thu 27-Feb-14 09:38:19

Could also look at Shark in the Park by Nick Sharrett, it is a good one to get children joining in with.

kimlo Thu 27-Feb-14 19:37:28

walking through the jungle is great!

the tiger that came to tea
giraffes can dance
stick man

maillotjaune Thu 27-Feb-14 22:55:37

Penguin by Polly Dunbar
Not Now Bernard (the best book for preschoolers ever according to 3 boys in my house!)
Some Dogs Do or the Eddie and Freddie books by Jez thingy (My Friend Bear etc?)

AfroditeJones Fri 28-Feb-14 10:03:18

Oh Hairy Mclary is fabulous!

MamOfTwo Fri 28-Feb-14 12:59:43

Thank you for all the suggestions thanks After much thinking, I think I am going to go for The Tiger Who Came To Tea...

Groovee Fri 28-Feb-14 13:04:12

Hairy McLary are fab, Jumblebum is much loved in our nursery. Alien love Underpants is another fabulous one.

Personal preference but I despise the tiger who came to tea. I've never liked it.

ClaraFox Fri 28-Feb-14 13:05:16

The aliens are coming!

MamOfTwo Fri 28-Feb-14 14:04:10

We love Hairy MClary too but I always find it a bit of a tongue-twisting read - not good in an interview situation!

AfroditeJones Fri 28-Feb-14 14:55:53

But then if you get the pronunciations and pace right, it will be amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now