What are your 5-7 year olds reading at the moment?

(56 Posts)
Chocomint Tue 25-Feb-14 18:23:57

Hello,

I'm doing a course about writing childrens books and need to do some research into what children are reading at the mo.

Are you children reading chapter books, early readers or perhaps they love activity books, or still prefer picture books?

Mucho appreciated if you could let me know.

Thanks.

GoAndDoSomeWork Wed 26-Feb-14 12:27:32

5-7 is a really broad range in reading abilities - it covers reception through to year 3 in which children make massive leaps in reading. My nearly 8 year old has just finished the Harry potter series and is now back on to reading Roald Dahl books to herself which we read to her when she was 5. when she was 5 she loved 'reading' picture books but couldn't read most of the words now she'll attempt anything that has a good cover or appealing title (comedy, vampires, tomboys, style books) She really got addicted to non-stop reading when she turned 7 - she loves spending the weekend ploughing through shorted chapter books like Tom Gates, Horrid Henry, Secret Kingdom books, lots of Enid Blyton, Sophie and the Shadow woods, Spiderwick chronicles and Agatha Parrot but likes longer books for bedtime. I think of these the Sophie and the shadow woods sets a good benchmark for how to write an appealing age appropriate short chapter book for non-girly girls in the the higher end of your age group and would be worth having a look at.

6.5yo chapter books, to himself, in silence!

GoAndDoSomeWork Wed 26-Feb-14 12:28:46

eeeek apologies for all the typos!

Campaspe Thu 27-Feb-14 16:48:29

7 yo DD loves non-fiction books about animals and jobs. She reads picture books to herself, but prefers me to read chapter books t her. We recently read all the Dick King-Smith books in the Sophie series together, and both of us enjoyed these. She likes sticker books.

Chocomint Fri 28-Feb-14 12:19:04

Oh this is all brilliant. Thanks so much for your replies. Very very helpful.

smile

drivenfromdistraction Fri 28-Feb-14 12:28:03

My 6yo is reading chapter books to himself. He loves Dinosaur Cove, Space Mutts, Flat Stanley, Claude & Sir Bobbly Sock plus factual books like '100 Facts about Sharks' or Usborne Young Reader information books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now