What are your 5-7 year olds reading at the moment?

(56 Posts)
Chocomint Tue 25-Feb-14 18:23:57

Hello,

I'm doing a course about writing childrens books and need to do some research into what children are reading at the mo.

Are you children reading chapter books, early readers or perhaps they love activity books, or still prefer picture books?

Mucho appreciated if you could let me know.

Thanks.

MistyB Tue 25-Feb-14 20:38:18

Puzzle books are a firm and repeated favourite. I wish there were more of them.

Stockhausen Tue 25-Feb-14 20:38:40

Our 5yr old is a creature of habit!

We rotate from the same 20 or so books, he's loving where's wally (has a competition with dh!) He loves the biff, chip & kipper box set, he still enjoys picture rich books, current favourite is An Itch to scratch about an itchy gorilla grin but the big change is that we've just started the roald Dahl box set! Reading the twits, which is going down a treat & he remembers the story so far, from the night before

notwoo Tue 25-Feb-14 20:43:48

Dd is nearly 5. She likes having picture books or traditional fairy stories read to her. Try as I might I can't get her into listening to chapter books yet as she likes to get to the end of a story in one go. We did have a lovely day reading George's Marvellous Medicine in one sitting a couple of months ago!

She is just starting to get the hang of reading and likes the Julia Donaldson songbirds phonics books alongside her school reading scheme books.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 25-Feb-14 20:48:27

DS has just turned 6. He loves the lighthouse keeper books at the moment. They are all picture books, and some are much more detailed and lengthier than others. He also still loves the little ted train books and mrs pepperpot books. And all octonauts books.

I read to him every night. At least one book, usually two. He also reads to me every night, but only his school book which is an ORT biff chip and kipper book.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 25-Feb-14 20:49:51

Dd is 6.5 and is working her way through all of the Daisy books by Kes Gray. She's just read all of the Horrid Henry Early Readers available still the library.

Any books on Guinea Pigs always gets picked up and read and she is driving us crazy with the Annoying Orange joke book.

CrockedPot Tue 25-Feb-14 20:51:40

Ds2 is 6, just discovered Roald Dahl and is reading The BFG at the moment. Still likes picture books too.

JoinYourPlayfellows Tue 25-Feb-14 20:52:32

My 5 year old loves those infernal Darcey Bussell books about Enchantia.

Sometimes I read with her, but mercifully she mostly reads them herself.

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Tue 25-Feb-14 20:53:50

7 year old ds is reading the How to Train Your Dragon series. And the Beano.

JoinYourPlayfellows Tue 25-Feb-14 20:54:30

They are chapter books, I don't know what early readers are, but I imagine they are that. They're very simple and the writing is quite big and there are some line pictures too.

Plus they're all the same, so if you've read one you've read 'em all.

tassisssss Tue 25-Feb-14 20:55:31

I really recommend the Daisy book and the Claude books for the in between stage between picture books and proper chapter books.

hazeyjane Tue 25-Feb-14 20:59:44

dd1 (7) has just finished a Liz Pichon - Tom Gates book, and is now reading Dick King Smith - Sophie is Seven. She reads chapter books, can't stand 'girly' books like the Rainbow Fairies, but struggles to find books that she likes.

dd2 (6) is reading school reading book and is having How to Speak Dragonese - Cressida Cowell to her. She is dylslexic and struggles with the 'physical' side of reading, but gets bored of the Biff Chip and Kipper books, and would prefer to read stuff like How to Train your Dragon.

PPaka Tue 25-Feb-14 20:59:55

New book by Shirley Hughes and her daughter, Clara , who also did the illustrations- Dixie O Day

Saw them at the south Bank Imagine festival last week, kids were fascinated. 2 x 6 yr olds. V entertaining story with fab illustrations

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 25-Feb-14 21:01:43

6, Ottoline series, these books are what made her realise what fun books can be, roald dhal, spiderwick chronicles, lemony snicket ( books 1 and 2) dick king smith, some fairy books,

She loves telling me how many chapters she is whizzing through.

CocktailQueen Tue 25-Feb-14 21:04:48

DS is 6 and in Year 2. He's currently reading Roald Dahl's The Twits, and in the last week has read Esio Trot and the Giraffe, the Pelly and Me, and George's Marvellous Medicine. He also reads football magazines and Match annuals. He likes Dick King Smith books too.

(But recently he found his Julia Donaldson books again, and we had a few nights of The Snail and the Whale, the Smartest Giant in Town, Tiddler, Stick Man, Tabby McTat and the like. Fabulous)

My 5.5yo DS is currently reading non-fiction book to himself, books of facts on various topics. Lots of short bites he can dip in and out of.

Since Christmas I have been reading to him the full Chronicles of Narnia, some Winnie the Pooh and we are in the middle of Wind in the Willows. I think he is making DH read Dahl again.

olivo Tue 25-Feb-14 21:06:57

4 1/5 yo DD likes me to read her picture books, all the Julia donaldsons, hairy mclary, the elephant and the bad baby as well as Miffy and mr men books. DD 7 likes all the animal rescue type chapter books, as well as the dancing school ones and Roald Dahl.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 25-Feb-14 21:07:21

Join Early Readers are like this. Fewer words per page, slightly larger and clearer text and more illustrations than more grown up chapter books smile

tyaca Tue 25-Feb-14 21:15:20

my nearly 6 year old is really enjoying having the bfg read to her.

she's on the cusp of reading early reader chapter books by herself - can decode the words and understand but really struggles with the chunks of text. she really enjoys reading picture books by herself.

she loves my naughty little sister at the moment (mainly being read to). winnie the witch has also been a strong favourite. at school she has been read horrid henry and flat stanley, both of which she really enjoyed.

DeWe Wed 26-Feb-14 09:36:46

My 6yo loves Horrible Histories/Horrible Geography, but in the last week has read as well:
History of the Lancaster Bomber
Book about the beasts from Beastquest
My story (Battle of Britain)
WWII: The home front
The Red Arrows story

I'm reading The Black Riders (Violet Needham) to him for his bedtime story.

He also likes fact books about the weather, volcanoes/earthquakes etc and dinosaurs.

DeWe Wed 26-Feb-14 09:41:36

Sorry, didn't read the Op properly, I thought you wanted examples.

He reads mostly fact out of choice. Mostly about WWII or planes, often adult books are fine as long as there's some pictures. It's amazing what they can understand when it interests them. If he's reading fiction then it's chapter books.

JoinYourPlayfellows Wed 26-Feb-14 09:43:51

Ahh, thanks Jilted. smile

Those Ottoline books look awesome, I'm going to get some of those for DD.

Beehatch Wed 26-Feb-14 09:47:17

My just turned seven DD would rather non-fiction when she picks up a book - space, dinosaurs, wild animals all float her boat.

When I or school encourage her to read fiction it will be something along the lines of Dahl, Mr Gum, Winnie the Witch or some dreadful series involving puppies.

littlebluedog12 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:55:34

My almost-6yo DD loves the Titchy Witch books, she reads them herself with a little help.

I am reading The Twits by Roald Dahl to her at the moment and she loves it. She still very much likes picture books as well, things like Katie Morag, Tiger that came to tea, Charlie and Lola, Gruffalo etc.

leddeeburdee Wed 26-Feb-14 10:03:51

DS (6, nearly 7) reads a lot, very keen on Wimpy Kid, Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, Famous Five at the moment. DD (just 5) prefers to be read to, loves picture books, Topsy and Tim, Princess Poppy, My Naughty Little Sister, Milly Molly Mandy.

blackbird41 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:55:57

My DS is just 8 but I can tell you what he was reading at 7. He's a good reader and liked chapter books - astrosaurs, Mr Gum, sea quest, Roald Dahl and mammoth academy. All these have black and white illustrations which he would like studying and medium sized print which is not too daunting. The illustrations also means there are less words per page so he got through it quicker (he would delight in telling me how many chapters or pages he had read). All children like getting praised!
Astrosaurs were also the first chapter books that he read at age 5/6. The main attraction/incentive for him was the coloured collector cards inside which he loved collecting. I didn't let him cut them out until he had finished the book (mean mother!)

He would pretty much reject any book with no illustrations at this age. Interestingly I ordered the re-published secret seven series which now has no pictures and these were rejected. I then bought an 'old' copy from a charity book shop (same book) with some black and white pictures and he said he would try it!

At 5/6 he would use clues like the front cover, the title and the illustrations inside to decide whether he would read the book. He would generally go for animal books. He got into Mr Gum as I got the first book on audio (he previously rejected the book cover-?a little scary maybe) and then there was no stopping him reading the books.
He generally would not read the blurb on the back unless I prompted him to until about 7 when he would start to use this to decide on book selection.
What other boys at school were reading would also have an influence!

I will also add the school assessed his reading age at 5/6 to be age 10. Yes he could read the words in harry potter but the tiny print, long text and small print was too daunting.

At age 5-7 he didn't have the confidence to try lots of different books- he would generally keep to 1 or 2 series until read them all.
Now at 8 he has worked out that longer books with a more complex plot are now more rewarding and that more description means that that illustrations aren't absolutely necessary. He has this week announced that he wants to start reading Harry Potter soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now