Can we talk about the Railway Children - couldn't get through reading it out loud last night!

(21 Posts)
Quangle Fri 14-Feb-14 16:15:42

I've always loved it and reading it again to DD reminded me much I love it. It's beautifully written (though dated, obviously). I love the author's voice.

But bloody hell I could not get through the last two pages. I got through "Oh! My Daddy, my Daddy" but the remaining paragraphs just slaughtered me - Bobbie clinging to her father and them walking hand in hand up to the house and her going in to tell the others. I literally couldn't get my words out. DCs thought I had absolutely gone mad and have barely stopped laughing at me since.

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Shallishanti Fri 14-Feb-14 16:19:55

No! you're not!
be thankful you were in your own home with your own dcs!

UniS Sat 15-Feb-14 21:23:56

I listened to this on CD recently and what struck me was how dangerous so much of what the children got to was.

Catsmamma Sat 15-Feb-14 21:25:09

i can barely recall the film scene with Jenny Agutter without choking up with tears

<<sniffs>>

havewinewilltravel Sat 15-Feb-14 21:30:09

I love this ... both book and film ... but cannot get through either without dissolving at the end ... which is probably why I have never read or watched it with my DCs!!

SwedishEdith Sat 15-Feb-14 21:31:26

I watch this every time it is on - it's like a guilty pleasure to know I will cry at the "Daddy, my daddy!" bit

JassyRadlett Sat 15-Feb-14 21:37:17

Oh gosh. No idea how you got through the 'daddy my daddy' bit, tbh.

One good thing about having DS is that I'm unlikely to have to read the end of Anne of Green Gables to him.

DramaAlpaca Sat 15-Feb-14 21:39:11

I always cry at the end as well.

<<sniffle>>

Marcipex Tue 18-Feb-14 14:44:05

Is it The Treasure Seekers, where Oswald says 'Mother would have loved that garden. But it is no use wishing.'
Boo hoooo

motherinferior Tue 18-Feb-14 14:46:17

I went to see it on stage - that wonderful production with the real steam train in it. Ever single adult was a sobbing wreck about half-way through the second half just waiting...

The kids, obviously, were unmoved. Stoic little buggers.

Quangle Tue 18-Feb-14 21:29:03

marcipex that's a devastating line.

I'd love to see that staging too.

LittleBonnie Tue 18-Feb-14 21:34:34

I'm reading the Treasure Seekers to my DCs at the moment , I have to adapt the language a bit because it's so old fashioned but the characterers are so wonderful. Does anyone remember a children's BBC drama of this story - probably early '80s?

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 19-Feb-14 07:41:09

It gets me every time, I know it's coming, have read the book and seen the film a hundred times but STILL I boo hoo every time! My DH looks on with amusement but DS ended up crying like me (I felt really guilty then!)

BigArea Wed 19-Feb-14 07:47:27

I read The Velveteen Rabbit to DD at the doctors once. She tried to get me to read it again last week but I declined on account of the public crying being too embarrassing

EvilTwins Wed 19-Feb-14 07:51:17

Same. Even the abridged picture book version. I also saw the play at Waterloo station and sobbed.
Oh, and once it was on TV when I was at the gym. I wasn't even listening to it but had tears rolling down my face whilst on the treadmill. blush

ohmymimi Fri 21-Feb-14 12:14:27

Gosh, I find 'Daddy, my Daddy!' unbearably painful, but I thought it was just me. My wonderful Dad died when I was ten - I would give anything to fling my arms around him again, like Bobby. I still miss him and think of him almost daily, he was glorious; I am 66.

MooncupGoddess Fri 21-Feb-14 12:24:19

Oh mimi! I am sorry sad

InkleWinkle Fri 21-Feb-14 12:26:23

Oh Mimi so sorry.

I wouldn't even attempt to read it out loud!

Clawdy Sat 22-Feb-14 15:13:27

The film was on tv two days after my dad died suddenly. My sister and I were staying at mum's and we were half-watching it, then got drawn in,and I can still remember our stunned silence after the "Daddy!" cry from Jenny Agutter.

Louise1956 Mon 24-Feb-14 00:21:49

I always thought it peculiar that the mother didn't go to the station to meet her husband, or take the other children. Why leave Bobbie to meet him alone? Most odd.

Quangle Mon 24-Feb-14 09:52:12

Because they didn't know he was coming. The letter didn't arrive. Even Bobbie doesn't know but she knows something odd is going on because everyone keeps wishing her all the best and Perks gives her a kiss and says he doesn't know if he's ever heard such good news in all his life and Bobbie thinks "what news?"...then the train pulls in. Sob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now