books explaining evolution and the big bang theory for infant-juniour ages

(8 Posts)

Does anyone know of a decent book on either of these topics aimed at kids under 10? Looking for something to help me answer the insatiable questions of a 6 and an 8 year old smile Possibly no duch thing exists (we have 'Evolution Revolution' but something a little simpler would be even better.)

Apologies for the spelling mistake in the title...

exexpat Wed 12-Feb-14 12:42:45

This might fit the bill: The Story of Everything but it's out of print at the moment - try a library?

Alternatively, the Horrible Science series is aimed at that sort of age; maybe this one - Horrible Science of Everything?

moonbells Wed 12-Feb-14 13:01:49

Go and search for Stephen and Lucy Hawking's children's books -

George and the Big Bang
George's Secret Key to the Universe
George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt

I have these in mind for DS!

nettie Wed 12-Feb-14 13:21:01

My two really enjoyed this when they were little, would orobably prompt more questions than answer them though!

www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Life-Earth-Nicholas-Harris/dp/0199105804/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392211147&sr=1-4&keywords=The+story+of+life+on+earth

Thanks everyone

Just placed an order for 'The Story of Life on Earth' by Nicholas Harris (for 1 penny plus postage as its only available used), The horrible Science of Everything and George and the Secret Key to the Universe (as those are a series and that seems to be the first one...). Will see how it goes. Don't have easy access to an English language library unfortunately, so will see how those 3 go down!

meglet Wed 12-Feb-14 13:56:05

Usbourne (lift the flap) - See Inside Space, starts with the big bang and how the universe formed.

Thanks meglet - my 6 tear old loves the Usborne flap 'see inside your body' book so that should be a suitable option. Had no idea the space one included how the universe was formed - we've got Usborne space early rwaders which don't. Have ordered a used copy of that - looks as though its hard to get new too. That's probably enough books for now, hopefully between them they'll hit the spot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now