ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

ds 3 getting bored of Julia Donaldson...next step?

(21 Posts)
loveroflife Wed 05-Feb-14 14:41:16

any thoughts on the next step/authors for ds..want plenty of vocab but to stretch a little further...thanks very much

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Feb-14 19:44:33

Have you tried You Choose? That was a firm favourite in our house.

addictedtosugar Wed 05-Feb-14 19:58:40

How old is he?
My 4 and half year old is loving Roald Dahl's The Twits atm.

Pointeshoes Wed 05-Feb-14 20:18:33

3.7 ds really loves anything roald Dahl, we have a massive book with all the story's in. Particularly loves 'the enormous crocodile' ! He seems like longer stories now. Mr.men books are great too.

KatherineSwynford Wed 05-Feb-14 20:23:42

Have you tried Jonny Duddle (The Pirate Cruncher etc)? We enjoy the rhyming the books, and they are very funny.

The Ahlberg Happy Families books are very good. Loads of choice.

Winnie the Witch - there are the large short ones with lots of pictures, then longer octavo ones, about 4 stories per book, with fewer pictures.

loveroflife Fri 07-Feb-14 10:55:49

he's just turned 3...thanks for these suggestions...he loves mr men, so maybe I'll try roald dahl and the ahlberg happy families?

addictedtosugar Fri 07-Feb-14 17:24:28

Think Dahl, apart from the Enormous Crocodile, and maybe some of the revolting rhymes, if your prepared to expose your child to them, might be worth holding off another 6-12 months.

Winnie the Witch is a good idea. Not familiar with the Ahlberg stuff.

blackbird41 Sat 08-Feb-14 09:50:16

My DS found enormous crocodile too scary at 3/4 but depends on your child.

I would also recommend:
You choose.
The Giant Jam sandwich
Rascally Cake
Ahlberg Happy families are excellent but best to buy as a collection as they cost if buying individually
Winnie the witch
Dr Seuss (from age 4)

maillotjaune Sat 08-Feb-14 10:01:03

Ahlberg's The Gaskitts books: The Cat Who Got Carried Away, The Woman Who Won Things, The Man Who Wore All His Clothes, The Children Who Smelled A Rat.

Longer Dr Seuss books.

maillotjaune Sat 08-Feb-14 12:54:38

And we've just been reading the Pumpkin Soup books with DS3 who is 4. They're lovely.

louloutheshamed Sat 08-Feb-14 17:28:15

Can't remember the author but my ds, just 3 is loving

Rosie revere engineer
Iggy peck architect

These are fab and illustrated by the guy who did jack and the flum flum and t. drip!

He also likes some of the quentin Blakes eg cockatoos also You choose and just imagine, mr tiger goes wild, the John Klassen ones including extra yarn which is lovely.

loveroflife Sat 08-Feb-14 19:46:21

thanks again, I haven't heard of half of these <blush>

I ordered the velveteen rabbit today (my favourite as a little girl) and will order winnie the witch.

If anyone has a collection of ahlberg happy families they would like to sell, please do pm me. the collections are sold out everywhere...

if he is tired enough, I can read 5 books to him before bed.....we have noticed such a jump in his vocab and I love the fact he now loves his stories, as previously he wasn't interested. in fact, I had to read to him in the bath as this was the only place he would sit still. let's hope it lasts!

MrsCF Sat 08-Feb-14 20:58:06

We have started to do one chapter from a chapter book and picture book at bedtime.
The chapter books we have started with are short ones like
The Owl That Was Afraid of the Dark,
The Bewilderwood stories - because he has memories of going there but doesn't remember the stories
Roald Dahl short stories like magic finger, eisio trot, the giraffe pelly and me
We are just going to start the Enchanted Wood
Some of the picture books we have enjoyed recently
Harry and the dinosaurs series
Dr Duck
Aliens love underpants and Monstersaurus

Jemimapuddlemuck Sat 08-Feb-14 22:51:05

Wow I just came on here to post pretty much this exact question. DS is almost 4 and not getting as much out of his picture books as he used to, I'd really like to start doing proper 'one chapter a night' type stories but am wary of over facing him. These suggestions are very helpful!

Slightly technical books like Little Red Train v good, or Richard Scarry books.

iseenodust Mon 17-Feb-14 14:50:35

Oliver Jeffers' books are fab.
Also Hubert Horatio... by Lauren Child (On a MN webchat she said he was her fav character.)

KatoPotato Mon 17-Feb-14 14:56:01

YY to Richard Scarry Books. Alway on offer on the book people too!

loveroflife Mon 17-Feb-14 15:36:46

thanks....I need more ideas, he's getting through them quicker than I do a family sized bar of Dairy Milk <grin>

We have How to Catch A Star by Oliver Jeffers, it's lovely but a little short...

I think I'll have to hold off the Velveteen Rabbit for a while as there's not enough pictures...

Winnie the Witch is going down well...he loves the Winter one and the first one where she changes Wilbur into a multi coloured cat!

I'll have a look at Richard Scarry on the Book People too...the Happy Families collection are still out of stock..might have to bite the bullet and order them separately off Amazon...

Katie Morag
Traction Man

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now