Children's bookclub - Oksa Pollock: The Forests of Lost Souls by Anne Plichota and Cendrine Wolf

(27 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Feb-14 16:21:32

February book club choice: We have 50 copies the second book in the Oksa Pollock series: The Forest of Lost Souls up for grabs.

Described as 'an excellent choice for anyone missing the Harry Potter books', 13 year old Oksa is a fearless heroine who enters the terrifying forest in an attempt to rescue her best friend. The Forest of Lost Souls is the second book in the phenomenal Oksa Pollock series, following on from The Last Hope, and will soon be joined by the third installment The Heart of Two Worlds.

If you know someone who may enjoy this book, apply for a free copy and come back let us know what they think or post a review.

BusyMum101 Thu 17-Apr-14 12:53:07

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, which I felt moved at a faster pace than the first (understandable as it doesn't need to introduce you to the characters in the same way). I do agree with the reviewers above who commented on the character, Hilda. It did annoy me that she was disliked by Oksa and her friends for not being girlie (by not wearing skirts and playing rugby). Really?! An annoying distraction. Generally, though, if you like Harry Potter books I would imagine you would like this series also

serendipity1980 Tue 22-Apr-14 13:04:26

Hi,
Thank you for sending me this book to read. I did enjoy it (I'm a Harry Potter fan) and I read the first book in the series before reading this one. I did find it gripping, I wanted to keep reading it to find out what happened next. However, I did find that the writing lacked the depth of HP, the evens suddenly happened, then were quickly resolved without much development. Also, the names of things were a bit annoying, I preferred the names that were used in HP. Oksa's Dad is also very immature and when he falls out with his mother, I did not find that at all realistic. I do wonder though if some of these negatives are due to the book being translated and it is simply a case of being lost in translation? Overall, I enjoyed it but I won't be re-reading it. Thanks for the book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now