Toddler books with a positive female role model

(33 Posts)
tinypumpkin Tue 28-Jan-14 20:38:51

I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for books for a two year old which show positive female role models. I have googled but it is always good to get personal recommendations. Thank you smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 03-Feb-14 19:04:29

Oh, and all the Emily Gravett books are luvverly, Monkey and Me has a girl protagonist .

Lovethesea Mon 03-Feb-14 19:09:42

The Night Pirates is lovely. All about a wee boy who joins a rough tough group of girl pirates who don't tell him to go away because he is 'just' a boy.

MrsDandBaby Mon 03-Feb-14 22:22:32

My DD is a huge tinkerbell fan - she has male & female friends, everyone has their role to play in fairyland which is ruled be the fairy queen - none of this waiting around doing housework till the handsome prince turns up!

tinypumpkin Wed 05-Feb-14 23:54:12

Loving the new suggestions too. Thank you.

headoverheels Thu 06-Feb-14 07:38:44

Barbar and the Wully Wully - it's a lovely story and Barbar's daughter Flora has a very positive role in it.

Daisybelle6 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:54:43

I would recommend 'The Worst Princess' by Anna Kemp... it's all about Princess Sue, who is fed up of waiting for her Prince Charming to arrive. However, when he does, she is not impressed and takes matters into her own hands! smile

Louise1956 Mon 24-Feb-14 00:30:35

The Trouble with Mum by Babette Cole is good.

Come Away From the Water Shirley and Time to Get Out of the Bath Shirley by John Burmingham are both very good.

Some of the Janet and Alan Ahlberg Happy Families series like Mrs Plug the Plumber and Miss Jump the Jockey.

Paintyfingers Mon 24-Feb-14 00:36:32

Female heroines doing exciting stuff:

Lola in Charlie and Lola
Meg in Meg and Mog
The Witch in Room on the Broom

Polly's puffin is a lovely book too - Polly has to find her lost puffin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now