Early reader DD: alternatives to rainbow fairies, please?

(26 Posts)
wearymum200 Wed 08-Jan-14 22:20:58

Title says it all really. Beast Quest just isn't cutting it; shame, as we have loads from DS1's obsession. DD2 is just beginning to fly with books alone, but doesn't like scary books. Thanks to many helpful mumsnetters, we have Claude, Willow Valley (which I find a bit over cutesy, but she loves, though is also scared when the little sister goes missing..), Biff and Chip Time chronicles, Sally Gardner early readers; and of course we go to the library lots, but selection on view is always a bit random and it would be good to have some suggestions for reservations too.
All suggestions welcome!

DeWe Thu 09-Jan-14 09:56:45

My dd2 didn't like scary books-or books she thought might be scary. I found a good method, which has worked from when she was 5yo until even now at 10yo. If I think she would enjoy a book, then I say to her I'll read two chapters and then stop if she wants me to. As a general rule she's wrestled it out of my hand at the end of the first chapter to read herself.

At rainbow fairy stage, she loved Milly Molly Mandy, My naughty little sister, Dancing shoes, Tiara club and the library had a set of books about cats called something like "Timmy the Cold cat" (made up name, can't remember any of the actual titles) Enid Blytons are also good.

Dogonabeanbag Thu 09-Jan-14 09:59:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diplodocus Thu 09-Jan-14 10:00:18

Anna Hibiscus series are good, although while very simple to read, they actually cover quite complex themes about cultural difference, so you may want to read and discuss with her so she gets the most out of them.

diplodocus Thu 09-Jan-14 10:01:06

Also "My Super Sister" series and the "worst witch".

ClaimedByMe Thu 09-Jan-14 10:02:30

I was going to suggest the battersea dogs home books or the rspca books if she is an animal lover.

Tidypidy Thu 09-Jan-14 10:03:28

My dd loves Winnie the Witch, they are funny and the illustrations are very good. Some Dick King Smith books are good for younger readers too. Does she like non-fiction? Usborne have a range aimed at early readers on wide range of topics, they're called Usborne Beginners, I picked up a few for pennies on Amazon.

ClaimedByMe Thu 09-Jan-14 10:05:02

Holly Webb is an author my dd has taken a shine too aswell.

bryte Thu 09-Jan-14 10:10:02

My daughter went through all the Jeremy Strong books when she was first reading.

What about the Holly Webb books. They're not all about puppies (although that is my DD's obsession!)

Michael Morpurgo? Some of his are for younger readers

Second The Worst Witch
Katie Morag
Janet Reachfar
The Witch's Dog
Jamie & Angus

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 11-Jan-14 09:20:00

Didn't know there were Katie Morag books, think my dd might enjoy those smile

wearymum200 Sat 11-Jan-14 19:42:43

Have just downloaded a Holly Webb to Kindle to try, thanks. Janet Reachfar will be new to us too. All further suggestions happily received!

nonicknameseemsavailable Sat 11-Jan-14 22:32:37

the Katie Morag books are great Jiltedjohnsjulie. They certainly used to get used quite a bit in schools in KS1, think it was a geography topic.

Holly Webb books are lovely and a big hit with my daughter. Dick King Smith is popular here too.

Corgi pups books are good, agree with the Witch's Dog, Worst Witch also the Lighthouse Keeper.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 11-Jan-14 23:38:41

My 5yo DD loves the My Naughty Little Sister books, they're such a trip down memory lane for me too!

beatricequimby Mon 13-Jan-14 18:48:43

YY to Milly Molly Mandy and My Naughty Little Sister. Pictures books but similar level might be Little Grey Rabbit and Brambley Hedge.

My dds have enjoyed the Sheltie books by Peter Clover (about a pony), Beverley Cleary's Ramona books and lots of Enid Blyton eg Naughtiest Girl, Faraway Tree, Secret Seven.

I'd second the Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke - brilliant!

Also:
Oliver Moon (Junior Wizard) series by Sue Mongredien
Dinosaur Cove books by Rex Stone
Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne
Mudpuddle Farm books by Michael Morpurgo

Second Dick King-Smith, especially the Sophie books.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Jan-14 20:24:11

Dd has discovered the Daisy the trouble with... Books by Kes Gray and is loving those. Might be worth a try?

wearymum200 Fri 24-Jan-14 21:02:38

We have Daisy and the trouble with burglars, but DD is now rather anxious about burglars in the house! Sophie books and Milly Molly Mandy have gone down rapidly this week. She knows my naughty little sister off by heart but I had forgotten the Magic tree house books, Thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Jan-14 21:42:06

That's such a shame. We are reading that one with dd at the moment. When it got to the bit where daisy was so scared she nearly pooed herself, we thought dd was going to choke she laughed that much.

bbkl Mon 27-Jan-14 11:11:44

Magic Puppy/Kitten series is a good one to look out for. There are lots, so good for children who get through books very quickly. Should be plenty in your library. Titchy Witch by Rose Impey are also good (not scary). There are some Jacqueline Wilson books for younger readers (The Cat Mummy for example). Look inside yourself before handing to a younger child as all the JW covers have similarly appealing Nick Sharratt illustrations even if the contents/themes are quite challenging.

LydiaLunches Mon 27-Jan-14 11:14:24

The witch baby and me books by Debi Gliori are good. Ramona and Beezus?

hels71 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:24:53

My DD is enjoying many of those mentioned above as well as Horrid Henry and The Secret Mermaid books. We got quite a few sets of things cheaply from the Book People. She is also enjoying books from the Usbourne Young Readers series.

IndianMummy Mon 03-Feb-14 10:10:47

Ah yes Katie Morag - those books were good! A great way to choose books that your DD might like is by looking at the characters page, here: http://www.randomhousechildrens.co.uk/index.php/category/characters

wearymum200 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:43:37

Have been exploring lots of these, thanks again. Slightly bemused by DD's degree of involvement in the story such that she is weeping over Holly Webb's "Lost in the snow" even before the kitten is lost. DS1 has nerves of steel and, while he gets swept up in a story appears never to be frightened or emotional about it. New experience for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now