Children's book club - Bing: Bed Time by Ted Dewan

(39 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Jan-14 17:21:52

You may remember a comp we ran last year to celebrate the publication of Bing: Get Dressed. We're delighted that the second Bing story - this time Bing: Bedtime is kicking off the New Year as one of our Jan children's book club choices. Share the ups and downs of everyday life in this playful pre-school series from award-winning picture book creator Ted Dewan.

Find out more and apply for one of 50 free copies. If you're one of the lucky 50 you will be notified on Tuesday 7 Jan and once you've had chance to read the book we'll ask you to post a review or let us know what you think on this thread.

Tailtwister Sun 02-Feb-14 18:02:54

We received our copy yesterday. I have never come across Bing before and both DS2 (3) and I loved the story and fabulous illustrations. Although simple, the story is really effective and allowed DS to join in. He was especially pleased when he spotted Flop under the bed.

Like other reviewers, I wasn't particularly taken with some of the words used, but I just changed them myself as I read. I thought it was a lovely story which reflects all the comings and goings we have at bedtime in our household. I think it will become a favourite!

Macey78 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:14:28

Received our book a few days ago. Our DD is 3.5yrs and she enjoyed recognising a bedtime routine similar to her own and liked the illustrations.

AnneOfGreenGarbles Tue 04-Feb-14 08:50:22

This book has become the current favourite for dd (21mo). Like others, we don't have a bedtime routine book so its a new concept for us. I like the way it repeats words for reinforcement and the actions are all very familiar.

The style isn't really to my taste - the illustrations are big and brash - but dd was captivated by the book straightaway so who am I to judge!

I'm glad we won this book, I would definitely have overlooked it in the shops and that would have been a shame.

mimolette Tue 04-Feb-14 13:21:37

Thank you for my copy. DD (2.5) was immediately drawn to the book and enjoyed "reading" it to herself by talking through the pictures.
We then chose it as one of her bedtime books. TBH, I thought the storyline was a bit basic for it to be a bedtime book for someone her age, but I can see that it would be great if you are trying to reinforce a new bedtime routine. Would certainly recommend it for that.

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Fri 07-Feb-14 22:57:14

Thank you for our copy of the book. DS aged 4 thought it was a good way of explaining the bedtime routine to DD aged 2 and loves to 'read' it to her. The final pages were the biggest hit as DS was able to explain (in some detail! ) how the bed time routine works for different people & pick out their own routine.

yUMMYmUMMYb Sat 08-Feb-14 22:50:56

This book has become a firm favourite for DS (29months). It is really similar to Maisey's bedtime book, but doesn't appear to bother him. For me it is not your typically illustrated toddler book, lots of black / dark colours and nit something I would buy from seeing on a shelf. However, DS had repeatedly asked for it all week and has easily latched onto the story.
thanks, would never have bought this book

missorinoco Mon 10-Feb-14 20:38:04

DS is nearly three.
He really liked it. Some of the words are a little twee, although Yup, Nope and Yuck don't bother me, but the routine of the story line is good and I can imagine had I read it to DS when he was younger it would have become a bedtime routine.

Thankyou.

verap Tue 11-Feb-14 10:12:14

My 4 year old loves this book and we have read it every single night ever since I received it.
It's a nice book about a bedtime routine and we always discuss ours at the end of reading.

mazgoli Fri 14-Feb-14 12:17:53

My granddaughters (1 and 2 years old) loved the book. They don't have a bedtime routine book, so it was good to read about the process of getting ready for, and going to, bed. I also am not a fan of 'Nope' and 'Yup', so just read it my way. I have to say that the minute the book finished, they both shouted 'again'; and we read it at least 15 times on the day it arrived. All in all, a good book for little ones.

sealight123 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:11:00

Sorry for the delayed reply. The book arrived whilst we were on holiday for 2 weeks lol

It is much like the first Bing book (which we also have), great illustrations, fabulous pace in the book and the perfect length for a nice bedtime story smile

My daughter is 2 and really enjoys storytime and this is becoming one of her favourites smile

nwstokes Sat 15-Feb-14 22:15:57

Book finally arrived and went straight to grand daughter(15 mths).large pictures, plenty of colour but daughter in law was clearly changing words to avoid the slang (nop etc). Generally well received

Footle Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:43

My grandson, 2.10, has had some Bing books around since he was born, from older siblings. The opening words "Around the corner, not far away, Bing begins another day" are a refrain that he sometimes repeats in response to his own train of thought. He had only seen the books in small format before, and was excited to see this big one. He can cope with a much more involved story than this now, but he liked the splashy pictures and strong colours , and found the flow-chart of bedtime routines interesting. He wasn't well when the book arrived, and it was comforting to have an unfamiliar version of a familiar baby book. Neither of us felt threatened by Yup and Nope, we thought they were funny. Thank you, we enjoyed it.

jasminum Wed 19-Feb-14 23:34:45

I enjoyed reading Bing Bed Time with my DS (18 mo). We have a few bedtime books that I like to read to him before putting him to bed but this is a bit different from the ones we've already got.

I particularly liked the bold and colourful style of the illustrations and the interactive nature of the text. There are plenty of opportunities for discussing what's going on in the story and making comparisons between Bing's routine and your own (including a flow chart at the end where your child can identify their own routine).

I also liked the spot the difference pages at the beginning and end, which were surprisingly difficult!

I will look out for other books in the Bing Bunny series.

PS I don't mind the 'slang' words used in the story (mostly 'Yup' and 'Nope') and I have never come across anyone in RL who would object to this (maybe it's coz I'm an ignorant notherner).

Footle Mon 10-Mar-14 16:45:56

Grandson wanted all his Bing books read to him today. On the last page of the new Bedtime one, he discovered that one of the flow-charts about bedtime routine includes putting your pyjamas on before your bath. He thought this was hilarious and is now examining the book carefully for more jokes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now