Something along the lines of Malory Towers/St Claire's books please?

(35 Posts)
MrsMcGregor Thu 19-Dec-13 13:30:15

Any recommendations please? 11 year old loves Enid Blyton Malory Towrs and St Claire's books but has read all of them. What else would she like! Is there anything boarding school themed from other authors?

Thanks

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 20-Dec-13 12:20:20

DeWe I have never heard anyone else mention Gwendoline Courtney! "Elizabeth of the Garret Theatre" is one of my all time favourite books.

OP What does your Dd like apart from boarding school stories? Is she moving into teen stuff? There's lots more to be recommended but it depends on her level of maturity - and how you might feel about more grown up writing...

MrsMcGregor Fri 20-Dec-13 22:11:58

Thanks everyone. The Royal ballet school books look ideal. St Judes books look like a nice series but might be a bit advanced for her. Will keep a note of some of these for future reading though!

DeWe Fri 20-Dec-13 23:24:05

Zero we found some GGBP books by her at a charity shop and she loved them. We haven't got that one though.
Her favourite is one about a girl who finds she's a duchess and doesn't tell anyone at school because they're terribly snobby about such things. Can't remember the name though.

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 20-Dec-13 23:46:22

Well I'll have to search out some more now that they've been recommended.

I first discovered the Chalet School at a bring and buy sale... Sadly the RL boarding school I subsequently attended was entirely lacking in romance and adventure.

timtam23 Sat 21-Dec-13 00:28:08

It's not boarding school exactly, but The Swish of the Curtain - Pamela Brown was a favourite of mine when I was a child, I remember it being a TV series in the 1980s? There are other books in the series as well, following the characters as they get older (some feel a bit dated now as the books were written in the 1940s)

DeWe Sat 21-Dec-13 18:56:00

The thing for me that really dates The Swish of the curtain is the amount of smoking by the main cast of children. I think all the older boys do it to "calm their nerves" by the end except one of the boys for whom it "disagrees with".
Although it gave me no issues when I read it as a child, I found that quite difficult to read as an adult to my dc, I don't think the younger boys were older than 15.

purplebaubles Sat 21-Dec-13 18:58:50

Antonia Forest's Kingscote novels are fab

I second this!

PrincessButtercup Mon 23-Dec-13 15:06:31

Take a look at Eva Ibbotson's The Dragonfly Pool, perhaps?

Also I can't remember being 11 without thinking of Judy Blume. Entirely off the boarding school theme, I know, and American but great tween books, I think...

kimlo Mon 23-Dec-13 15:56:45

I loved the chalet school dd1 has just started them and seems to be enjoying them. I had most of them when I was her age but my dm gave them to the charity shop.

I've got the first five from ebay I wish they were available to download as a kindle book though.

hels71 Tue 31-Dec-13 22:04:46

Gwendoline Courtney's books are ace! (I think the title mentioned earlier is A Coronet for Cathy?) I also suggest Clare Mallory, but they are hard to find. Antonia Forest's Kingscote books are also fantastic....the only problem with them is there are not enough...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now