Thomasina - Paul Gallico. What age is it appropriate for?

(5 Posts)
TheRaniOfYawn Sat 14-Dec-13 07:16:14

I read it as a teenager, too.

comeonbishbosh Sat 14-Dec-13 07:09:55

I can't remember much of it but I read it as a teen, probably 13/14 years old. Around the same time as my Du Maurier, Agetha Christie and PG Wodehouse phase!

I looked it up and read the reviews too nonick, apart from the 8 year old comment though all the reviews seemed to be from adults.

I was quite pleased that DD was emotional initially as I think part of enjoying books is about getting that involved in the story, however, when I read the rest of the chapter it was particularly heart wrenching!

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 12-Dec-13 20:48:23

I don't know it but have just looked it up. reviews seem in many cases to be from adults but I did see one from an 8 year old.

one of my daughters is 6 and a good reader but she is VERY sensitive and I don't think she would like it from the bits I have read online.

Yr1-3 sounds quite young for it to me based on what I can find out but then perhaps my children are just very sensitive?

DD came home with it from school, she's 7. I went in the other night to find her inconsolable. I tried to get her through it by reading a couple of chapters to her...I've now taken it away (with her agreement).

Not only is it a really tough read but I think the themes are designed for older age groups. The school have put it in the library for Yr1-3. I think it's probably better for 10+, does anyone have children who have read and enjoyed it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now