Is Carrie's War suitable for a 9 year old?

(16 Posts)

I read it when I was 11 years old and loved it, although I remember it was quite haunting, and lingered in my mind for months afterwards. It didn't frighten me - just got under my skin. I haven't read it for many years.

Our next door neighbour has a 9 year old daughter who loves reading and creative writing. She's read all the Famous Five books and things of that type, but neighbour said that her teacher has suggested that daughter is ready to move on to something a bit more challenging, for want of a better term.

I thought about getting her Carrie's War for Christmas but wasn't sure if it was suitable? Has anyone got a 9 year old whose read it? What do you think?

Other ideas were Eva Ibbotson, Joan Aikens (Wolves of Willoughby Chase) or something like The Demon Headmaster. I loved The Secret Garden when I was that age.

schmee Sat 07-Dec-13 07:58:16

I think it's great and read it (a bit prematurely) to my DSs when they were five. They were fine if slightly spooked. It's a fantastic book. I think I was probably nine when I read it first.

Ememem84 Sat 07-Dec-13 08:00:24

Do it. I loved it when I was a kid. My mum recently bought me the DVD. I'd forgotten how sad but lovely the story actually was.

SanityClause Sat 07-Dec-13 08:00:42

I loved this book, as well. I think I read it at about the same age as you did.

I have a feeling that I tried giving this to DD1 at about 8 or 9 and she was too young. She is such a voracious reader, I was always looking out for new things for her.

I think, perhaps, the other suggestions are better. Although, I am sure DD2 had Wolves of Willoughby Chase as a class book in year 6, but I'm not sure if that's all that common.

What about something by Phillip Pullman? Or she may like the Harry Potter books.

SavoyCabbage Sat 07-Dec-13 08:02:03

My dd read it when she was nine and enjoyed it. She loved Eva Ibbotson.

kimlo Sat 07-Dec-13 08:04:03

my 9 year old dd1 has just read it in the last couple of weeks and she enjoyed it

dingdongduckyfuzz Sat 07-Dec-13 08:04:59

My 9yr old twins have read and enjoyed it

Thanks all. I think I will go for it. Now I just have to think of something for her five year old sister, who hates reading grin

I have Wolves of Willoughby Chase on my bookshelf so might lend her it in the run up to Xmas. If memory serves that was a bit scary in parts so might be a good yardstick to see how she gets on.

Rosieliveson Sat 07-Dec-13 08:22:45

Has she read the wishing chair stories? I read them about the time I was reading famous five. I loved them. Also had a borrowers omnibus. Read that in about 3 days!
Not sure whether either of those are current enough but certainly age appropriate grin

I'd forgotten about The Borrowers! I had it at that age but for some reason was never interested in reading it, which is weird because I read anything I could get my hands on (in fact there was a long period where I read a book a night on some insane quest to finish the school book trolley by the end of term - the prize was a Cadbury's Creme Egg which was slightly deflating!)

It was probably the size of the omnibus that put me off, and I would have read it if I had the individual books. I'll look them up smile

BramblyHedge Sat 07-Dec-13 08:50:56

How about the Green Knowe books?

Periwinkle007 Sat 07-Dec-13 20:12:35

Charlotte Sometimes and A Traveller in Time are excellent and suitable for that age.

for the 5 year old what about The Lighthouse Keeper? you can get them chapter book sized with larger font now. or Katie and the art gallery books by James Mayhew

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 07-Dec-13 22:20:00

My 9 year old ds has just read Carries War. Dd read it at school when she was 10.

DeWe Sun 08-Dec-13 15:44:04

Dd2 (9yo) loved it, and she's easily spooked.
She loved the Green Knowe books too.
She's been reading through the classics. Things like Polyanna etc.
Has she read the Little House books? Arthur Ransome?

ZombiePenguin Tue 10-Dec-13 21:07:43

Yes. My DD loved it when she was 7ish, and DS read it at 9. Both enjoyed it and it was easy to understand but interesting too, so perfect for that age range.

Some Diana Wynne Jones books? Morpurgo books, the younger ones, like the Last Wolf?

duchesse Tue 10-Dec-13 21:20:25

I read it at 6. Loved it!

Mr Johnny used to scare me witless at that age, and I was rather alarmed by the nasty "uncle" and the whole fire thing and them never finding out what happened for decades.

It was one of the books I read and re-read through childhood though so can't have been all that traumatising.

I'd say go for it.

There are some really good and challenging Michael Morpurgos as well, very suitable for a 9 yo if you needed any other ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now