Books for 6yr old Girl

(14 Posts)
Lisajo76 Sat 07-Dec-13 07:09:01

Hi I'm a new member so apologies if this has been asked a dozen times already, haven't quite got the hang of the site yet. Anyway, my daughter reads well for her age and is enthusiastic, any suggestions for books she could read or that we can read together, a page each. She does get frustrated if the words are too difficult so I don't want to put her off. Thank you x

KittieCat Sat 07-Dec-13 07:13:50

The Worst Witch books are fab. Take a look at the link here to suggested books for different ages:

https://shop.pearsonforparents.co.uk/7-9/PuffinFictionPacks/PuffinPackAges7-9(TheWorstWitchplus2otherfavouritechapterbooks).aspx

SatinSandals Sat 07-Dec-13 07:21:37

Take her to the library every week. Ours has whole shelves of graded readers.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Mon 09-Dec-13 20:58:03

hi Lisa and welcome to MN thanks

Don't apologise for posting either, I've just come on to ask the same thing smile

Like satin suggests! we have taken her to the library! she really likes the Early Reader series, but has read them all.

She particularly likes the Horrid Henry ones.

Dick King-Smith's Sophie books are good
second The Worst Witch - also the Winnie the Witches for older readers.
Alex T Smith's Claude books
Roald Dahl - The Magic Finger, The Twits, Esio Trot ...

treaclesoda Tue 10-Dec-13 13:18:32

Flat Stanley.

The 'Daisy' series by Kes Grey.

My Mum is going to explode (think that's what it's called) by Jeremy Strong, and the other books in that series.

The Claude books, but I can't remember who wrote them; they're about a dog called Claude.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Tue 10-Dec-13 14:46:08

Thanks blue and treacle (not sure I'd actually like blue treacle!). All of those suggestions are great, will definitely take a look, dd does like the daisy books.

OP sorry for the thread hijack! smile

treaclesoda Tue 10-Dec-13 15:57:14

found them

These are the Claude books I mentioned, my DD loved them.

Takver Tue 10-Dec-13 16:26:50

Definitely the Daisy and the Trouble With books by Kes Gray, proper books but still lots of pictures.

Maybe a bit young, but the Winnie the Witch chapter books are also very fun

mercibucket Tue 10-Dec-13 16:32:23

early reader rainbow fairies books?

GoAndDoSomeWork Tue 10-Dec-13 16:38:15

there is a fantastic selection nowadays - have you seen the Agatha Parrot books www.agathaparrot.co.uk these are great if she is a good reader - very funny and about girls without being at all girly. Sophie and the shadow woods by Linda Chapman my daughter and friends loved and also the famous five (my dd had for bedtime story for a while which got her into them and used to the language then she happily devoured the rest of the series).

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 11-Dec-13 13:39:59

Lady Lollipop - Dick King Smith
Willow Valley
Bluebell Woods
Magic Molly

JingleJohnsJulie Mon 16-Dec-13 20:02:17

Someone gave her the willow valley books last year, she wasn't very interested but I was reading them to her. Might try her again.

fimonty Thu 19-Dec-13 15:45:52

I've just bought a fab new book on amazon called 'Battle of the Colours'... it's a fun little read - loads of colour and the pages have holes in. Children can use them as finger puppets - here's the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Colours-1-Fiona-Hill/dp/0956374468. Haven't seen it in the shops yet though - but it's worth a shot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now