Mr. Gum! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(14 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Fri 06-Dec-13 20:14:39

Big thanks to the very helpful MNer who recommended said books.

My 7yo DS adores having them read to him of an evening and the humour is so brilliant that I love reading them.

The truth is a lemon meringue smile

iwantavuvezela Fri 06-Dec-13 20:19:42

We love them as well

Finbar Fri 06-Dec-13 21:47:13

They are a laugh out loud joy to read!

JanePurdy Mon 30-Dec-13 21:10:08

My 5yo DD LOVES her Mr Gum audio CD, read by Kate Winslet - it's brilliant.

Giblet Fri 03-Jan-14 21:09:38

We love Mr Gum in our house. Andy Stanton has also recorded the first three books as audio books. If you can get your hands on his reading of Mr Gum and the Goblins do you will split your sides laughing- his version of the Goblin King song is just hilarious!

Cristiane Fri 03-Jan-14 21:12:01

if you ever get the chance, Andy Stanton does a HILARIOUS and charming talk and reading at the Edinburgh Book Festival. Has the whole audience of kids and adults in stitches. He also signed books for my DD beautifully after the show, drawing her and her rabbit in a kind of comic strip.

He must have been there for about 3 hours just signing after his show. LOVELY guy

BaconAndAvocado Sat 11-Jan-14 23:40:37

Wow *cristiane^ I am very envy !

they are fabulous aren't they! grin

Waitingforflo Sat 11-Jan-14 23:45:32

Ooooh, was it me? Probably not, but I do bore everyone senseless by telling them how great they are whenever the topic of children's books come up grin . . .

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stealthsquiggle Sun 12-Jan-14 17:03:38

Tee Hee. We introduced DS's teacher to them when he was in Y3 - She was a bit hmm but ended up reading them to the whole class and they were all (literally) ROFL.

My favourite bit was a chapter called "Mr Gum has a cup of tea". DS got a chapter each evening - there were howls of protest that evening grin

BillyBanter Sun 12-Jan-14 17:08:29

I introduced my niece to them and she loves them. My DB grew to love them eventually.....

BaconAndAvocado Tue 14-Jan-14 18:24:32

DS loves them so much that he wants to go to Book Character Day as Mr Gum!

Red beard, top hat and untidy suit I guess???

My DCs love them too, DS went as Mr Gum to World Book day last year, facepainted a beard onto him, got a jacket and belt from a charity shop, job done. They've got the audio books as well.

I personally think they are a crock of shite, but you can't have everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now