Novels for 4.5yo DS bedtime story?

(7 Posts)
neanderthal Tue 03-Dec-13 20:08:48

DS has just got into having a children's novel read to him at bedtime, one or two chapters a night.

So far we've read

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
James and the Giant Peach
The Enchanted Wood

He is very sensitive and we had to edit some of CCF because we don't need nightmares!

Does anyone have any recomendations of what's next? He loves these longer, more complex stories but doesn't like baddies and magic! (ie not ready for Harry Potter!)

Wind In the Willows
Winnie the Pooh (might be too young for him?)
I would have thought the E.Nesbit books might work either

Takver Wed 04-Dec-13 08:51:36

Little House in the Big Woods (but probably not the later books), especially interesting to hear the differences / similarities between life then & now.
Teddy Robinson - absolutely perfect for a 4 y/o esp one who is a bit sensitive
The Sophie books by Dick King Smith, ideal in that they are about day-to-day life, but Sophie is a great heroine, very funny
The No. 1 Car Spotter

Periwinkle007 Wed 04-Dec-13 14:07:28

loads of Dick King Smith ones (might edit out a few - I have for my girls but on the whole they are great)
Traditional Paddington chapter books - absolutely lovely to read, no fears about content either.
Wishing Chair - Enid Blyton
Naughtiest Girl in the School
Something like Snow Bear by Holly Webb? I haven't actually read it - we have it on the bookcase but I imagine it is a lovely story as her other books are perfectly harmless.
Charlotte's Web?
Mrs Pepperpot?
Mr Benn - you can get a hardback book with a few Mr Benn stories in
Milly Molly Mandy

I think all of those would be suitable for a little boy, especially if he is quite sensitive.

dyslexicdespot Wed 04-Dec-13 14:15:48

Astrid Lindgren's childrens books are wonderful. I am sure your DS would love the books about Lotta, Madicken, Emil and the bullerby children. I'm not sure what the are called in English but that should be easy to find out.

Periwinkle007 Thu 05-Dec-13 21:39:40

The Bullerby Children was originally published as something like that but then they changed the title. We have original upstairs. lovely books. I think there is 'The Bullerby Children again'

dyslexicdespot Thu 05-Dec-13 22:24:51

Here are a few more that i loved as a young child:
Mary Poppins
Mrs Piggy Wiggle
Ramona the pest
The OZ books, although some of them are a little scary.
the little prince
The mumin troll books by Tove Jansson
The last unicorn
And as mentioned above, the little house books- my all time favourite. I can't wait till DS is old enough to appreciate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now