Desperately Seeking decent books for 7yo boy

(27 Posts)
crazy88 Mon 02-Dec-13 20:26:25

Ds1 is nearly 7, is a very capable reader but is not that keen on reading alone. I need to find him some decent, accessible, imaginative chapter books that are not too long, preferably about ordinary kids having 'adventures'. He has read the first 4 books in the "magic tree house" series and really enjoyed them but has stalled now so needs some variety.

My local library consists of about 3 shelves of Rainbow Fairies books angry, a few (to me) soppy-looking books about animals, and an assortment of negative and patronising books clearly aimed at boys e.g. Horrid Henry, Dirty Bertie, Captain Underpants etc. hmm

We have tried Beast Quest/Dinosaur Cove but ds1 finds the unusual names of dinosaurs and beasts etc confusing.

Oh, and I tried Waterstones and WH Smith and it was basically the same things. Also had a look on Amazon but unless you know what you are looking for it is pretty time consuming.

Find it very frustrating actually. I was into Secret Seven at his age but had hoped to find something more up to date (I.e. with less dodgy "circus-folk" etc).... To coin a phrase, am I being unreasonable?? Any recommendations??

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Sun 15-Dec-13 21:50:30

DS loved the Alfie the Werewolf series by Paul van Loon at that age (Birthday Surprise / Full Moon / Silvertooth / Wolf Wood / The Evil Triplets / Werewolf Secrets). They are about an ordinary boy who discovers on his seventh birthday that he's actually a werewolf, and the scrapes this gets him into. Obviously(!) there's a fantasy element, but he lives in a normal suburban house in a normal town and goes to a normal school so it's probably more relate-able than Beast Quest and so forth. And from a practical point of view they are a good length with nice short chapters to keep drawing the reader on.

pancakesfortea Sun 15-Dec-13 21:49:23

The Tom Gates books have all the good features of the wimpy kid books but the lead character is much less brattish and annoying.

My boy also loves graphic novels (ie comics).

howlingcow Sun 15-Dec-13 21:44:23

Mr Gum is a must and enjoyable for parents too as they're so funny!! My girls listen to Kate Winslet reading them on audiobook-brilliant! They also love the Horrible Histories series of books!

blackbird41 Sun 15-Dec-13 21:37:07

As you are looking for books that are a little easier than dinosaur cove and beast quest, I would suggest the following:

Flat Stanley
Mr Majeika
Oliver moon
The owl who was afraid of the dark
Michael morphurgo mudpuddle farm (his easiest book with fun illustrations)

They are good first chapter books for boys.

If he can tackle these and you want something harder then try:
Astrosaurs
Jack stalwart
Beast quest/sea quest
Mr Gum

Then: other michael morpurgos, how to train you dragon.

Many of the book listed by readers above are significantly harder than the magic tree house series.
My son is just 8 and above is the list that he read!

lostintoys Thu 12-Dec-13 21:59:20

My 7-year-old loves the Spy Dog series, and also Enid Blyton's Five Find-Outers series – they're a bit easier than the Famous Five books.

Littlepinkseal Tue 10-Dec-13 19:56:44

Billy Bonkers books by Giles Andrae
Prince Jake or Oliver Moon books by Sue Mongredian
Aunt Severe and the Dragons by Nick Garlick

getyourshoesonNOW Mon 09-Dec-13 22:19:23

Ricky ricotta series (by the same author as Captain Underpants but aimed at younger kids)

Lisajo76 Sat 07-Dec-13 07:04:05

Also you should be able to request the books you want from your library. As far as I know they have to transfer any book from nearby libraries if they are requested. Might save you a fortune! smile

Lisajo76 Sat 07-Dec-13 07:01:19

Hi my boy is 8 and a VERY reluctant reader much to my book-loving frustration. I am disappointed with the quality of boys books and the language used. Horrid Henry is a particular hate with the constant use of words like stupid, idiot etc. Anyway! My son did read Diary of a Wimpy Kid and was keen to start the second. I think it helps that it's not page after page of text, it's broken up with pictures x

crazy88 Tue 03-Dec-13 08:53:48

Thanks to everyone for these. I knew there had to be some out there but for some reason they are being ignored by my library and all the bookshops I have been to. Makes me angry

chimchar Tue 03-Dec-13 06:29:02
shelbytortoise Tue 03-Dec-13 06:13:52

Yes to mr Gum ....brilliant books, diary of a wimpy kid series, Roald Dahl are classics, David Walliams are v funny.

schmalex Tue 03-Dec-13 06:03:32

Yy to Mr Gum and Jeremy Strong's books.
The Beaver Towers series by Nigel Hinton?

Alexander McCall Smith's children's books. And another vote for Jeremy Strong. I defy ANYONE to read My Dad's got an alligator without collapsing in fits of laughter.

Effic Mon 02-Dec-13 23:39:07

Michael morpurgo - elephant in the garden and butterfly lion and (best of all) kensuki's kingdom.
How to train your dragon series are fab
But if you want up dated version of 'kids on adventure' then the Jack Stalwart books will do the trick - perfect for boys of your child's age.

TummyMummy36 Mon 02-Dec-13 23:30:41

Secret Seven books are much easier than Famous Five series. Dick King - Smith books are quite good as well. So are Flat Stanley books.

sittinginthesun Mon 02-Dec-13 22:30:55

jeremy strong

Sharptic Mon 02-Dec-13 22:21:47

You're a bad man Mr Gum made me laugh out loud when I read it with my 6yr old ds (he found it quite funny too), there's others in the series too. Very childish humour though!

Another vote for Roald Dahl too.

Periwinkle007 Mon 02-Dec-13 22:15:34

Roald Dahl
Paddington chapter books - very amusing
Lighthouse keeper - you can get them as chapter books now
wishing chair?

sorry - I have girls so most of ours are a bit too twinkley and girly.

nicky2512 Mon 02-Dec-13 21:03:09

DS (almost 8) loves A boy and a bear in a boat, The lighthouse keeper, lots of Michael Morpurgo stuff, Paddington bear paperbacks!, Just William and Famous Five. Definitely think if you are looking for modern books, girls are easier. When DS reads too many older books he starts to talk like the characters!

rubyslippers Mon 02-Dec-13 21:00:16

Roald Dahl / my DS who is 7 years is loving them

He also likes factual books about cars, encyclopedias and space

staverton Mon 02-Dec-13 20:58:12

YY to non fiction. Eg usborne encyclopedia

Spoo Mon 02-Dec-13 20:52:45

What about David Williams. My boys loved him. Very funny but also poignant.

wearymum200 Mon 02-Dec-13 20:37:59

Swallows and amazons much loved by my 7 yo ds, but much harder than magic tree house. What about Wild rescue (series, there are q a few of them), Helen Moss Adventure Island (like an up to date famous five), some non fiction eg Usborne young reading collection; actually there are simplified classics egTreasure island in the same Usborne collection which were popular with my ds at about the same stage.

staverton Mon 02-Dec-13 20:35:17

The fabulous soccer boy series (book people)
How to train your dragon
Mr gum
Shorter roald Dahl eg the twits
Diary of a wimpy kid
The worst witch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now