What age for David Walliams books?

(20 Posts)
MercuryRising Tue 26-Nov-13 19:33:58

DS is 7 and I am looking for some new books for him for Christmas. He is a confident reader. Would these books be suitable? Or can anybody recommend a different author?

skillsandtea Tue 26-Nov-13 19:37:09

Yes, they are fantastic. My son was reading them at 7 and he loves them. Before that he usually needed nudging a bit to get him to pick up a book.

MercuryRising Tue 26-Nov-13 20:19:02

Brilliant, thank you. I'm going to order some for him smile

mercibucket Tue 26-Nov-13 20:35:11

demon dentist might be a bit scary for 7

MercuryRising Tue 26-Nov-13 21:12:35

Do you know if any others are unsuitable mercibucket ? He is a bit of a sensitive soul. Prior to this I have given him books such as Roald Dhal and Michael Morpurgo which I am familar with, but it would be good for him to find some new authors to enthuse about.

skillsandtea Tue 26-Nov-13 21:34:23

I must admit we've not got Demon Dentist yet but have all the others. He is currently reading Ratburger and there was a part that he found hard to read where the man makes burgers out if rats but he is loving the rest of it.

MercuryRising Tue 26-Nov-13 21:36:56

Thanks for the tips. Is there one you would recomend he starts with?

skillsandtea Tue 26-Nov-13 21:39:06

Mr Stink and Gangsta Granny are really lovely. I used to have a sneaky read of them too!

Has he read the Mr Gum series by Andy Stanton? Both of my boys loved them when they were that age.

MercuryRising Tue 26-Nov-13 21:42:22

I will look into the Mr Gum books too. Thank you for your suggestions.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Nov-13 21:43:42

Gangsta Granny might not be one to read if there is an ailing grandparent in the family - but might be poignant following a bereavement.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Nov-13 21:43:54

Ds enjoyed Billi

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Nov-13 21:44:30

Ds enjoyed Billionaire Boy. I'd say Mr Stink is a good one to start with.

skillsandtea Tue 26-Nov-13 21:47:10

That's true Pictures! Didn't think of that..

alwaysneedaholiday Tue 26-Nov-13 21:47:19

Just to point out, if he is sensitive, that someone (usually a parent) nearly always dies in his books. My DC have enjoyed them, but they do seem to have a dark side.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 26-Nov-13 21:59:40

I've read Mr Stink and Gangsta Granny to DD who is 7. We loved them.

He's very funny, and makes me laugh. Lots of humour that appeals to adults too.

I would say though that David Walliams doesn't shy away from tough subjects. There's death in GG and Mr Stink, which could lead to questions. Actually one part of Mr Stink made me cry.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Nov-13 23:12:36

In Billi

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Nov-13 23:16:12

I think it's the Boy in the Dress where the mum has abandoned the family & the main character misses her a lot. Ds found that one hard , death seemed easier to cope with for him than the idea a mum would willingly leave her child.

I expected it to be resolved in the end but it wasn't.

MercuryRising Wed 27-Nov-13 06:43:43

I think I will get them but read them with ds so we can discuss them. Thank you so much for the heads up. He probably is too sensitive read and digest them alone.

At 7 my son was NOT a good reader but enjoyed good books - I read to him.
These are what I enjoyed when he was between 7-8 ( I think)

Roddy Doyle Rover books - highly recommend really funny.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Rover-Adventures-Treatment-Christmas/dp/1407108603

Ali Sparkes Monster Makers books
I also read some of the Spy Dogs books to him.

He read to himself the Mr Gum books I think when he was 7 or 8, then progressed to Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.

The Beast Quest books are very popular around 7-8 but they did not appeal to my son at all.

Meanwhile he enjoyed stories that were too difficult for him to read. At about 8 he listened to all the Harry Potter books but they were way too difficult for him to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now