Poetry for 3-4 year olds?

(10 Posts)
busymummy10 Sat 23-Nov-13 21:19:29

Can anyone recommend a good introduction to poetry for my DD. She will be 4yrs in a couple of months. She loves story books that rhyme but was looking to introduce poems.

Small child here seems to like elements of both A Child's Garden of Verses and When We Were Very Young. Both are probably slightly wordier than one would expect nowadays, but do seem to work.

Campaspe Mon 25-Nov-13 19:22:33

Noisy Poems - Jill Bennett. In fact, any of the poetry books in this wonderful collection. Have shared them with my DD since her babyhood, and she and I love them.

Campaspe Mon 25-Nov-13 19:24:06

And nursery rhymes, of course, but you've probably considered that. Tony Mitton and John Foster have also put together some rather wonderful anthologies for very young children. Happy exploring.

NorthernShores Mon 25-Nov-13 19:26:24

Rumble in the jungle has lots of animal poems.

Trapper Mon 25-Nov-13 19:27:21

When we were very young and 'now we are six' are both enjoyed by my 2yo and 3yo. The also enjoy the Jabberwocky - the more animated a telling, the Better!

RaspberrySchnapps Tue 26-Nov-13 11:35:37

100 Best Poems for Children is popular with my lot.

TheEyeofHarmony Tue 26-Nov-13 14:03:07
Periwinkle007 Tue 26-Nov-13 21:58:11

miles kelly - poems for young children, beautiful book, my kids love it

MuseumOfHam Tue 26-Nov-13 22:09:39

A collection of poems called Night Night Knight was a great favourite of DS's (and mine) around that age. I seem to remember it being a Bookstart giveaway in Scotland. Great selection of poems, some very funny ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now