Childrens books for DS2 (7) (when our house already looks like a library!)

(27 Posts)
Littleredsquirrel Thu 14-Nov-13 22:16:51

Help. DS1 is eight and a bookworm. Apparently book are the best thing in the universe and if he didn't have books he would "shrivel up and die". This is great and I have three new sets for him for Christmas.

The problem is that I want to get a collection for DS2 as well. He is six nearly seven and is also a good reader. We seem to have most things though. I need inspiration for new ideas

the list of those we have is endless but a few are below

harry potter collection
famous five collection
michael morpurgo collection
roald dahl collection
percy jackson
Kane chronicles
jack stalwart
astrosaurs
the dreaded beast quest
how to train your dragon
Chrestomanci
charlie bone
alex rider
the divide
spiderwick chronicles
series of unfortunate events

I am completely stumped. I can think of books for DS1 but not for DS2

The Arabel & Mortimer books by Joan Aitken...they are from the 70s. I recently got them for my 7 yr old DS and we all loved them....NEVERMORE!

If you are as old as me you might remember them from Jackanory, Mortimer is a naughty crow.

Catmint Thu 14-Nov-13 22:23:48

Oh yes, Arabel & Mortimer is a great idea, so funny.

How about The Bagthorpe Saga?

Here's the first one, there are 5 in total I think, my two found them very funny.
Arabel's Raven

We have also just finished an Atticus Claw book that went down well.

mummy1973 Thu 14-Nov-13 22:26:47

Dick King-Smith? He wrote Babe and lots of other animal stories.

CorrieDale Thu 14-Nov-13 22:27:12

Just William. I have introduced my DCs to them and they have been a Massive hit. And there's half a million if them (avoid the Christmas ones though, unless your children don't believe in FC)

Littleredsquirrel Thu 14-Nov-13 22:40:13

Brilliant thank you I knew MN would come up trumps. I'm off to research them on amazon!

Bakingtins Thu 14-Nov-13 22:45:13

Tom Gates books - sets on the Book People site.

Takver Fri 15-Nov-13 09:06:40

Jennings, too - just as funny as Just William, but a slightly easier read for a 6 y/o.

staverton Fri 15-Nov-13 09:24:05

What sort of level is he? Does he read roald Dahl with ease?

If RD a bit hard you could try
Jeremy strong series
The super soccer boy series (book people)

Also for ds1 how about david walliams mr stink etc. super cheap on book people!

CorrieDale Fri 15-Nov-13 09:32:55

I'd forgotten Jennings! I do have an omnibus tucked away somewhere. That was a series that got better and better as the characters developed. The vocabulary is certainly easier to follow but they are books rather than chapters, which might make them harder to follow for children raised in beast quest! Or is that just my DS???

spiderlight Fri 15-Nov-13 09:42:23

My 6-year-old DS has just thoroughly enjoyed the 'Car-Mad Jack' series by Jenny Alexander. They are very definitely for petrolheads only though! He likes Horrid Henry and Billy Bonkers too.

Littleredsquirrel Fri 15-Nov-13 09:52:11

He's a good reader, he happily reads famous five, horrid henry, dinosaur cove etc on his own. I am reading him the butterfly lion at the moment which he is really enjoying.

Thanks for all the suggestions. keep em coming!

iseenodust Fri 15-Nov-13 16:44:28

Agree Jennings over Just William.
I haven't mentioned Cows in Action on this forum for at least a week smile.
No-one has mentioned proper chapter Paddington books.

mercibucket Fri 15-Nov-13 16:59:16

the jeremy strong books
the series of lion witch wardrobe etc?

freetrait Fri 15-Nov-13 21:50:32

Horrible Histories! DS (just 7) loves them, reads them all the time, and has just got into Horrible Science too.

IndianMummy Sat 16-Nov-13 08:31:29

Wow, you have a good collection. Are you looking just for series? This page might inspire you - click on the character and you read a bit about them and see the books in their series: http://www.randomhousechildrens.co.uk/index.php/category/characters

IndianMummy Sat 16-Nov-13 08:33:44

Oh - and I forgot to say - you can also see and print off the activity packs for some of the books from that site too, which is fab!

IHadADreamThatWasNotAllADream Sat 16-Nov-13 08:40:51

I second Horrible Histories/Horrible Science/Murderous Maths.

Also the Ottoline books, the Chris Riddell/Paul Stewart series whose name I forget, Horowitz's Diamond Brothers series, Lauren Child's Ruby Redfort series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Vivian French's 5 Kingdoms, The Last Dragonslayer (Jasper Fforde).

Littleredsquirrel Sat 16-Nov-13 11:14:32

Thanks so much everyone. We have horrible histories and Narnia and diary of a wimpy kid (I am a bit book obsessed too. It's my major weakness). Not just looking for collections, just books for DS2 to feel like they are new for him. Some good ideas here.

Littleredsquirrel Fri 22-Nov-13 20:20:41

Think I might have found another good option. Varjak Paw. DS2 is obsessed with cats so this should go down very well.

LadyEnglefield Sun 24-Nov-13 21:34:28

If your DS2 is cat obsessed then I would second the Atticus Claw series mentioned by a pp. My DTDs (just turned 8) love them.

DTD1 has also read Varjak Paw. Her Y2 teacher let her read her own copy - signed by the author - so it was very special! I've bought her the second book, The Outlaw Varjak Paw, as a stocking filler for Christmas.

TheEyeofHarmony Tue 26-Nov-13 14:08:21

Frank Cottrell Boyce Chitty, chitty bang, bang series? I haven't read them yet but they are next in line to borrow from the library.

TheEyeofHarmony Tue 26-Nov-13 14:11:11

Mr Gum books by Andy Stanton
David Walliams' books
Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now