Classics for 12 year old dd?

(64 Posts)
SolidGold Wed 13-Nov-13 21:44:31

Dd (12) loves reading, but prefers girlie stuff like Cathy Cassidy. I'd like her to start reading more varied stuff including some classics. Any suggestions what she could start with that would catch her attention and make her want more?!

She enjoyed The Little Princess and The Secret Garden, I can't persuade her to read The Hobbit though.

NoComet Thu 14-Nov-13 17:36:38

Good luck DD2 moved straight on to Twilight and teen rubbish total refuses to red anything I or school suggests

CoolStoryBro Thu 14-Nov-13 17:52:07

I was going to say Murder at the Vicarage too! I was not a Poirot fan, but I loved, loved, loved Miss Marple.

ancientbuchanan Thu 14-Nov-13 17:56:10

The London eye mystery

Cs Lewis
Antonia Forrest
The more cheerful Hardys, ie not Jude but the woodlanders, trumpet major, FFTMC.
Sherlock Holmes
John meade Falkner, moonfleet, the nebuly coat
Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series
The didakoi
My friend Flicka
The longest journey
Durrell
The voyage of the kontiki
Any travel books, I read masses at that age
Cranford

ancientbuchanan Thu 14-Nov-13 17:57:42

If she likes miss marple .she will like miss silver

D l sayers, prob murder must advertise.
Mary Renault

SolidGold Thu 14-Nov-13 18:51:02

Starball, that's what I'm trying to avoid. smile

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 14-Nov-13 18:56:02

I loved Jane Eyre and My Family and Other Animals around that age. Also loved the James Herriott books.

beatricequimby Thu 14-Nov-13 19:10:16

Fantastic suggestions here.

Definitely get her Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry - its an incredibly moving story about a Black girl in the US South in the 1930s. I buy it for my friends' children.

How about A Long Way from Verona, by Jane Gardam. Its about a quirky 12-year-old living in the North East during WW1. Its fab. In fact I might go and read it again now.

She might also like Hons and Rebels by Jessica Mitford. Its got the whole amusing Mitford aristocratic, wacky childhood, then she runs off to join the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War.

SthingMustBeScaringThemAway Thu 14-Nov-13 19:32:55

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler - E. L. Konigsburg

Elizabeth of the Garret Theatre - Gwendoline Courtney (if you can find it...)

In travel: Freya Stark is absorbing - and empowering.

SolidGold Sat 16-Nov-13 16:04:30

Great suggestions smile A long way from Verona sounds good smile

lainiekazan Sun 17-Nov-13 17:48:08

Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan - in translation of course unless 12-year-old is particularly poncey.

lilyfire Mon 18-Nov-13 23:35:07

Just finished Carrie's War with my ten year old and we both loved it. I second The Silver Sword and When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - been on bit of WW2 thing.

SolidGold Tue 19-Nov-13 14:12:27

I remember reading Carrie's War too, will try and find that for dd as well.

timtam23 Sun 24-Nov-13 23:35:54

The Kevin & Sadie series by Joan Lingard - I read them when I was around 11 or 12 (about 30 years ago so they may have reached the status of modern classics!)

The Runaways trilogy by Victor Canning - again I read these aged 11/12

Sherlock Holmes
Black Beauty
Cider with Rosie
Gerald Durrell

Another vote for The Little White Horse, The Dark is Rising, and Green Knowe series. Plus anything by Joan Aiken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now