Princess Smartypants

(6 Posts)
Campaspe Fri 08-Nov-13 19:59:51

DD told me this book is banned in her school. We don't have it, but I am now really curious. What is in this book that makes it controversial?

lljkk Fri 08-Nov-13 22:38:45

Odd. Princess Smartypants breaks the rules is a bit obnoxious imho, but the original 1 or 2 books are alright, nothing too objectionable. I wonder which book is banned at your DD school?

shrunkenhead Tue 12-Nov-13 18:00:26

Babette Cole's books can be a little controversial, but I thought Princess Smartypants was great at reversing gender stereotypes bit like the Paperbag Prince.....? Is the school v "traditional"???

nooka Tue 12-Nov-13 18:32:08

Is it banned, or do they simply not have it in the school library of books? It's been a long time since my children read picture books, but I do remember it as being quite unpleasant (and I'm a feminist so should have been an ideal audience really).

Campaspe Tue 12-Nov-13 19:17:32

Well, DD told me the headteacher didn't like it, and it has been removed from the classroom. I'm dying to know what it's all about now. Have read some other Babette Cole stuff and it seemed mild enough to me.

Stokey Fri 29-Nov-13 15:04:06

Someone gave this to DD1 (aged 3) who liked it but wouldn't say it'sa favourite. Read it for a bout a week most nights and since been relegated to the shelf.
I found it a bit silly, most of the jokes are directed at parents or much older children, but can't see any reason to ban it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now