What's next, after Horrid Henry? For 8yr old avid reader?

(25 Posts)
wonderwooman Sat 09-Nov-13 19:00:34

The Akimbo books by Alexander McCall Smith are also good

sausagesarenotafruit Sat 09-Nov-13 18:22:52

lissa evans; Small Change for Stuart and then Big Change For Stuart. So good I have just read them myself. Unputdownable!

wearymum200 Fri 08-Nov-13 19:48:07

Jenny nimmo secret kingdom trilogy, ranger's apprentice (longer ,but appear to be utterly gripping for small boys), Giggler Treatment, choose your own adventure, wildlife SOS, astrosaurs, helen Moss adventure island books

iseenodust Fri 08-Nov-13 12:20:37

Cows in action - humorous

Spoo Thu 07-Nov-13 23:22:38

Beast quest? Not particularly worthy buy my DS loved them. Now he's into Percy Jackson.

GoingGoingGoth Thu 07-Nov-13 23:19:17

Another vote for How to Train Your Dragon,
Possibly the Percy Jackson books too
Anne Fine is another good author, Dd raves about her, something about a dragon living under Edinburgh Castle

Grockle Thu 07-Nov-13 23:11:32

My friend just sent a couple of Mysterious Benedict Society books from the US - they look really interesting but are a bit daunting. DS loves reading & could certainly manage the text but I think they seem a bit overwhelming. I might read them though!

MillyONaire Thu 07-Nov-13 22:33:46

Second all of the above. Plus The Mysterious Benedict society (a trilogy) that my dc loved.
Michael Morpurgo is good.

melodyangel Thu 07-Nov-13 22:31:27

The Benno
Tin Tin
Asterix

Grockle Thu 07-Nov-13 21:35:47

Thank you so much! I put a few books on Amazon and my basket came to £130 shock I got carried away!

Lots of fab suggestions.... I'm very grateful.

melodyangel Thu 07-Nov-13 16:43:47

More votes for
How to train your dragon
Diary of a wimpy kid
Tom Gates books

also
Horrible histories books
David Walliams' books
Mr Gum books

And of course Mr Dahl!

You could also try The series of unfortuate events, spiderwick chronicles, Artemis Fowl books too.

Does his school have a library? Hopefully he can pick some up there and The book people are great for collections.

LudvigVonBeatles Thu 07-Nov-13 08:34:37

Dinosaur Cove
Beowolf, Kensukes Kingdom - Michael Murpago (although believe these are more for 9 years +)
How to Train Your Dragon

mercibucket Thu 07-Nov-13 08:25:41

jeremy strong eg 'the 100 mile an hour dog'
captain underpants
how to train your dragon
wimpy kid
tom gates
grin

GreenShadow Wed 06-Nov-13 22:58:59

Captain Underpants?

BehindTheScenesAtTheMumseum Wed 06-Nov-13 22:42:25

There's also a lot of good stuff for their age at The Book People at the moment.

BehindTheScenesAtTheMumseum Wed 06-Nov-13 22:41:43

My 8yo DD is currently loving The Spiderwick Chronicles.

Grockle Wed 06-Nov-13 22:41:27

Never heard of tom gates... will have a look. He loves Wimpy kid books, I'd forgotten about those.

Will look at David Walliams too, thank you smile

Moanyoldboot Wed 06-Nov-13 22:36:42

The David Walliams books are fantastic...

DisappointedHorse Wed 06-Nov-13 22:36:14

Tom Gates? My 9 year old loves these, along with Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

MrsOB Wed 06-Nov-13 22:35:45

My DS (7 years) loved a series called Yuck, bit minging for grown ups, but he really enjoyed them. I got from Bookpeople, box set for about £6...

He's currently on David Walliams box set. He LOVES reading!!

Grockle Wed 06-Nov-13 22:33:41

We do go to the library but not as often at the moment (I'm disabled and it's hard for us to get there).

I'm looking for books to get him for christmas/ birthdays etc.

How to train your dragon is a really good idea, thank you. He loves the film.

SatinSandals Wed 06-Nov-13 22:30:50

If he loves books he will explore for himself.

SatinSandals Wed 06-Nov-13 22:30:07

Has he got a library ticket? I would recommend a weekly visit and free choice.

Have you tried how to train your dragon? It's guaranteed to get giggles. The books start off reasonably short (longer than horrid Henry) and get longer as the series goes on.

Grockle Wed 06-Nov-13 22:19:06

DS LOVES books. He is still into Horrid Henry but reads them in an hour or so. What is the next step? I want him to have something a bit more challenging but not too long or difficult that it puts him off reading. Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now