Books for 13 year old goddaughter

(10 Posts)
clare21 Wed 06-Nov-13 21:00:54

Really stuck on ideas to give her, she loved Northern Lights, just getting into Malorie Blackman.

Takver Wed 06-Nov-13 21:28:04

She might like Frances Hardinge - Fly by Night / Twilight Robbery / A Face Like Glass. Not exactly similar to Northern Lights, but kind of the same 'feel' in some ways to my mind (use of language, complex plot, fantasy + alternate history in Fly by Night/Twilight Robbery)

clare21 Wed 06-Nov-13 22:00:15

Ooh thank you, not come across her so will look those books up.

booksteensandmagazines Thu 07-Nov-13 07:14:44

Fairly news out and very good are:

The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight by Jenny Valentine
she Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick
Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff

If she likes Malorie Blackman the. I think these writers will appeal too. I've put together a list for 12/13 and 13/14 year olds here (the above books aren't on them as I've only just read them and they are waiting to go onto the website):

www.booksteensandmagazines.com/blog/reading-list-year-9-13--14-year-olds
www.booksteensandmagazines.com/blog/reading-list-year-8-12-to-13-year-olds

Cynthia Voigt- Dicey Tillerman series
The Miseducation of Cameron Post

I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)
The Little White Horse (Elizabeth Goudge)

stargirl1701 Sat 09-Nov-13 18:53:26

The Wolf Brother set?

Ihatemytoes Wed 13-Nov-13 21:04:49

babybythesea Sat 16-Nov-13 18:16:20

Back Home - Michelle Magorian. About a girl who was evacuated to the US age 7 returning after the war age 12 and how she copes, or not, with settling in.

TheNunsOfGavarone Sun 17-Nov-13 20:31:54

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve - fantastic YA adventure in a post-apocalyptic world where wheeled cities roam around "eating" each other in a system known as municipal Darwinism, and museums collect tin foil, CDs and Mickey Mouse, "animal headed god" of lost America! Recommended to me by RemusLupinsGreatestGroupie (hoping I have name right!) on this forum and I'm finding the series unputdownable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now