Children's books set in space?

(13 Posts)
UniS Tue 12-Nov-13 22:46:52

l spotted a few more possibles in a book shop today - both billed as for readers aged 8-12

Hyperspace High - series
Maggot Moon - one book

BOF Mon 11-Nov-13 23:28:23

Frank Cottrall-Boyce's Cosmic is a beautiful story. Did you know he scripted the Olympic opening ceremony and I know him slightly ?

He's a very well-respected children's author.

UniS Mon 11-Nov-13 23:23:07

Robert A. Heinlein's "juvenile" novels - do check that you get the ones he wrote for youngesters though, the others are a tad very full on for children!
Red Planet, Space Family Stone, Rocket Ship Galileo, Space Cadet, Farmer in the Sky, Time for the Stars, Citizen of the Galaxy, Between Planets and Starman Jones are all juveniles.
Nicholas Fisk is good - Starstormers is a great series, there are five or six iirc.
Louise Lawrence wrote "Calling B for Butterfly" set in space.

UniS Wed 06-Nov-13 19:21:55

I'm failing to remember the name of a book or two I read as a child about 1st a boy and his dad, then a whole family ( mum dad, boy, girl) being selected and trained for space flights.

DeWe Tue 05-Nov-13 20:44:28

One of the Alex Rider series ends with him going up into space. I can't remember which one though.

I second the Nicolas Fisk ones. He wrote a load, there was one series i remember reading, about 3-5 in the series about a group of children in a space craft.

Might be more something to read to him, but how about Jules Verne?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 05-Nov-13 07:16:01

Sorry, totally didn't answer your question and I hate it when people do that on here. He's 9.5 and a good, but lazy reader.

GooFawkes Mon 04-Nov-13 23:47:11

What about the Astrosaurs series? It is dinosaurs in space. DS likes these.

UniS Mon 04-Nov-13 23:39:23

Space hostages by Nicholas Fisk

Is he too young to get going on "proper" sci fi?

enders shadow, command etc link nicely to the film enders game.
Anne McCafferys "ship who sang " brainship books
assorted star wars books

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 04-Nov-13 20:26:57

Thanks for that Uni. Will have a look for those books at the library and the book we borrowed is actually the one you recommend, got the title a bit mixed up there blush

UniS Mon 04-Nov-13 19:07:43

http://www.goodreads.com/series/75656-dragonfall-5

if you can find them, library might have some kicking about in the stack if asked.

how old is DS?

Cosmic, by F Cotteral boyce is good, aimed at maybe 9+

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 04-Nov-13 13:49:46

DS has decided he will only read books set in space. Know this is hopefully just a phase but I'm running out of ideas. We've read the Lucy Hawkins series, the library have suggested Cosmic Boy which I've taken out for him this morning and he is reading astrosaurs. While I'm happy he's reading anything, I think astrosaurs are perhaps not stretching him.

Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now