November book of the month: The Book of Bedtime Stories by Mumsnet and Gransnet.

(33 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 10:03:15

Our very own Book of Bedtime Stories is our November book of the month and we're giving you the chance to get your hands on one of fifty free copies. Everyone who reviews on this thread will be entered into a draw to win a fabulous goody bag which includes a limited edition print by one of the illustrators of the book plus a library of Walker Books.

For more information about how this wonderful treasury of stories came about and to apply for a free copy, visit the book of the month page.

Galena Wed 04-Dec-13 10:50:14

Beautiful, beautiful book. Our 4.8yo loves it - and was very excited to receive a copy. As soon as it arrived she read the first 2 stories, and has had more at bedtimes. I agree with a PP that it is aimed, not at toddlers, but at a slightly older child. There is a lot of text on each page. However, once your child has that reading/listening stamina, it is fantastic and nobody would guess that these are stories from unpublished authors and illustrators.

Thank you again, a fantastic book!

gazzalw Wed 04-Dec-13 19:46:31

What a fabulously diverse range of stories. I'm hooked just looking at them. We've put this away for a Christmas pressie for DD -she's 8 but still very much appreciates listening to wholesome stories at bedtime! Thank you Mumsnet and well done to the authors of the stories!

Raspberrygiggle Thu 05-Dec-13 11:48:35

I am really over the moon with this book. The stories and illustrations are absolutely lovely. I really like how there is a large selection of different stories to suit very young children but also some to keep older children entertained too. I have put this away for Christmas as a joint gift for my two children from Santa. Thank you so much!

milliemoon Fri 06-Dec-13 19:28:58

I thought this book was really quite lovely, The pictures are really interesting and the styles of them are different so will capture my son's attention. I have read a couple of the stories and found them intriguing. Will look forward to reading them with my son

shrunkenhead Fri 06-Dec-13 23:22:22

THANKS so much for our copy! It is a lovely gift book and the stories are all a nice length for bedtime reading. Know my 5 year old dd will enjoy listening to these stories.

NotAFeminist Mon 09-Dec-13 11:22:07

This is a great collection of stories. I love - and my son loves - 'Time for Bed' as, with the excellent illustrations, he can recognise some of the things we do before bed and he enjoys me reading it to him before he goes to sleep. We also love 'Princess Imogen's Independent Day' and I think 'When Polly Jumped Over the Moon' is a very clever story. It's not too long a book, the stories are wonderfully written and the illustrations are great. It's a good size, too. I am very impressed with the quality of this book and would definitely recommend to other parents!

starlight36 Thu 12-Dec-13 21:23:30

We received a free copy and love the book. As others have commented the illustrations are beautiful and really make the book feel special. My DD likes the individual title pages which really make the anthology feel like a collection of individual picture books, unlike anthology book we were given which she hasn't really taken to.

The stories are well written and varied. The current
favourite is 'Princess Imogen's Independent Day', probably because she relates most to that one!

I can see this book being a favourite for a while. I'm already thinking how practical it will be to take along with us on upcoming family visits - ten bedtime stories in one slim book.

CrewElla Mon 16-Dec-13 06:44:05

I haven't shared with my son yet as we are saving it for Christmas. I did read through it whilst I was in hospital with my other DS.

As everyone is mentioning the book is beautifully illustrated, I know my older son will enjoy looking at the pictures (I did.)

I was surprised (sorry) about how well written the stories were and how quickly I became engaged in most of them. I will enjoy reading this selection of stories to my sons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now