Ideas for non-fiction books for 5 year old

(9 Posts)
frumpypigskin Wed 30-Oct-13 21:00:05

My little boy loves 'facts' about things such as nature, rockets, space, dinosaurs, the body etc.

Have you got any suggestions for books we can either read together or that he can read by himself?

He has an encyclopedia which he enjoys but I'm looking for other ideas.
Thank you.

Periwinkle007 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:17:24

Usborne

The See Inside books are fantastic and they also do the beginners range which are about book band 8/9 depending on the subject and they cover a wide range of non fiction topics.

frumpypigskin Thu 31-Oct-13 09:55:20

Thank you Peri, I shall have a look.

fruitpastille Thu 31-Oct-13 14:26:10

Agree usborne beginners books are great as they gain confidence reading independently. Or what about a subscription to kids national geographic? We used tesco vouchers for ours. It does have some rubbish adverts but ds enjoys it.

RaspberrySchnapps Tue 26-Nov-13 11:57:57

Is a blue whale the biggest thing there is? The Usborn books are very good. DK books (eg Super Nature and Space Encyclopedia)

nopanicandverylittleanxiety Tue 26-Nov-13 23:11:27

DS1 could read the 'cat in the hat' learning library books himself at that age. He started off with the dinosaur one. He still loves them now.

Packs of them are cheap from the book people at the monent

AnneWentworth Fri 13-Dec-13 23:51:30

We have a book called 'Whittaker's World of Facts'. It is an adult book and large, but separated into sub sections and just has small snippets of info. I bought it for DH one Christmas but Ds1 (now almost 8) has been the most prolific user since starting school, sometimes he sleeps with it. It is brilliant and you can dip in to find out a capital city, a chemical symbol, which bit of the Stone Age came first etc. dS2 who is 6 in Jan also uses it now for all sorts.

goodgrief54 Sat 14-Dec-13 15:44:23

my ds loves Guinness book records and had been given a copy each year since he was 5.. loads of facts. grin

tiredandsadmum Thu 19-Dec-13 15:59:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now