Has anyone wrote any children's stories

(12 Posts)
PeachyEmma Sun 27-Oct-13 15:00:39

I have wrote a few little stories for bedtime reading or confident readers ( 4-8 years) because when i came to look for some in the book shops there wasn't that many in this age range my little ones liked. The only good feedback was from my family (humm)
I have been advised to e-publish them, but not sure where to go for advice on the 'next step' though.

SilverApples Sun 27-Oct-13 15:16:47

'I have wrote' doesn't bode well.

SoupDragon Sun 27-Oct-13 15:18:27

[weeps]

greenhill Sun 27-Oct-13 15:21:29

There is a 'creative writing' section here on MN, look in talk topics at the 'in the club' section.

Have you thought about illustrations? Most children's books need those, as well as a story.

Also if you are going down the self publishing route: are you confident about your use of grammar and able to spot typos in your own work? You will need to do your own copy reading and editing; plenty of potential buyers are put off by bad syntax, poor vocabulary, misuse of words and glaring grammatical errors.

Good luck.

PeachyEmma Sun 27-Oct-13 15:29:46

Thank you for all comments.
I do my own illustrations which i am better at. Fortunately.
Also I have just had the stories proofread and edited. Again fortunately.
I think it is the publishing and promoting I am not sure about.
Thank you for the advise on looking on the creative writing section. I will take a look there.

Willemdefoeismine Sun 27-Oct-13 15:29:53

Oh dear at the English....hmm...

PeachyEmma Sun 27-Oct-13 15:40:10

Let's see how many comment on the grammar... I thought that would be picked up first. Won my bet.

:Halloweengramm'a'smilie:

greenhill Sun 27-Oct-13 15:42:06

How many stories have you written?

It's good to have back up in terms of proof reading and editing. A fresh pair of eyes is always useful.

I hope the creative writing section will be able to answer your questions in terms of publishing and promoting your work.

MothershipG Sun 27-Oct-13 15:50:30

Peachy You're talking about publishing your writing - of course people will comment on your spelling and grammar.

We're you making deliberate mistakes just to get a rise? hmm

SilverApples Sun 27-Oct-13 15:57:44

OH works in publishing as a book editor, and I'm a teacher. grin
So yes, an elementary error in your grammar makes me feel that self-publishing is the way to go.

SoupDragon Sun 27-Oct-13 16:11:57

Let's see how many comment on the grammar... I thought that would be picked up first. Won my bet.

What did you expect? You write something in bad English and then say you want to write books and have them published? hmm

Arabesque1 Tue 19-Nov-13 15:10:14

I would normally be the first to roll my eyes when someone corrects someone else's grammar on a thread. But as the topic of the thread was the OP publishing a book for children I think it was perfectly relevant and valid in this case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now