Looking for Diwali Books or Toys

(4 Posts)
rulee Mon 14-Oct-13 09:47:52

I am inviting some of my 4 & 2 year olds friends over for Diwali, we are the only Hindu's in our group of friends. I grew up being told the story of Ramayan every year and I would love to start the same tradition with my girls, some of the mum's have asked if I could tell the story to the children. Can anyone recommend some picture books that are good for younger children on Diwali or the Ramayan? Would love to read them the story on the day before we start activities and food!

Kipsy Tue 22-Oct-13 09:31:23

There is one on Amazon
Lighting lamps
but I think you might have already checked it out??

As for the Ramayana, I've never managed to find a book that skipped over the abduction/killing bits (my DC is very sensitive!!) - sorry!

When I did a presentation for my DC's nursery, we printed out some pictures of "scenes" from the Ramayana - Rama winning Sita's hand, Living in Exile, Abduction, Hanuman's leap across the sea (very popular!), Lanka burning, etc. And did a voice over.

If you have the time and inclination, maybe you could do a shadow puppet show with some simple print-and-cut-out shapes from the Ramayana story. It could be very interesting for this age group.

Hope this helps!

Jesstryinghard Tue 22-Oct-13 12:39:47

The usborne Diwali book is good smile

rulee Tue 22-Oct-13 16:34:38

I found a sweet book on the Ramayan on Amazon with bright painted illustrations so I bought that. I tend to use my own words for some of it, even though my daughter has heard the story and seems okay. It is quite a small book and might not be great reading to a small group. So I got a bit excited and bought some Ramayan puppets again on Amazon. I think the kids will love a puppet show, even my husband is bit excited at the thought of it! Also love the idea of starting that as annual tradition at home.

Thanks for you help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now