Is there another book like You Choose?

(22 Posts)

Hi

My 2.5 year old is obsessed with 'You Choose' - does anyone know if there is another. equally good, book along the same lines? Thanks! smile

We also have just imagine by the same authors

AnotherWorld Mon 14-Oct-13 09:10:35

Mine loved You Choose. Our copy is falling apart and is held together with lots of Sellotape. Even my 8 year old still enjoys it.

Sorry can't help but marking my place.

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 14-Oct-13 09:15:37

Ketchup on your cornflakes is good too.

Also there is one called 'Mixed Up Fairy Tales' if they like choices which make funny sentences.

You Choose is a firm favourite here too. Such a simple yet brilliant idea. We had it EVERY night for over a year!!!

BerstieSpotts Mon 14-Oct-13 09:16:02

I think The Baby's Catalogue by Janet and Allan Ahlberg is fairly similar in that it has lots of things to look at and talk about and not many actual words, just titles.

BerstieSpotts Mon 14-Oct-13 09:16:30

And it's lovely smile I used to have it as a child and I remember looking at the pictures!

OldBeanbagz Mon 14-Oct-13 09:17:57

How about Just Imagine?

BerstieSpotts Mon 14-Oct-13 09:20:07

I recorded DS and I reading You Choose on my phone - I think it will be interesting to play it back when he's much older to see what he chose when he was little smile

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 14-Oct-13 09:21:14

Ah you are right The Baby's Catalogue is fab.

As is Peepo and Each Peach, Pear, Plum

Thanks! Ordered Just Imagine, and put Ketchup on your cornflakes on my wish list smile

We have the Baby's Catalogue but my kids have never really been taken with it, it's been knocking about and moved to each new baby's room since my eldest was born. I know its a "classic" - I must have faulty kids grin

We have Each Peach Pear Plumb too - same deal... I actually think that one only works for kids who know all the stories referenced though, so its an oddly placed book age group wise IMO - looks and reads like a toddler hard back, but really needs memory and categorising skills of a 3-5 year old... Again I must be wrong as I know its a classic!

2.5 year old has a good vocabulary and relatively good attention span, so doesn't really want "baby" books - he came out a a Gruffallo every night phase, via the Charlie and Lola books, to You Choose. I didn't used to be able to read You Choose at bedtime as he got too over excited (plus it took sooooo long as his older siblings also wanted to choose on every page, in addition to each being read their own story) and he wouldn't stop talking to go to sleep for literally hours, but its old hat now so not as over stimulating and the older 2 have stopped bothering choosing too, but he is picking it for bedtime every.single.night and I'm a bit bored of it, as are his big brother and sister!

Belo Mon 14-Oct-13 11:55:47

My 2.5 year old was also obsessed with You Choose. In fact, as an 8 year old it still gets pulled out for us to read with her! At one point You Choose was the only book she would except as a bedtime story. It became a bit of a quest to find a replacement. This was the best we found:
www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=in+the+town+all+year+%27round&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=38884912314&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1623277064345850778&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5yuq63g0u4_e
For a while we had to alternative between You Choose and In Town All Year Round. Just Imagine wasn't such a success in our house, but then again, maybe DD2 was too old for it by the time it came out! However, she does love the You Choose colouring book.

Ah they have that book in our doctor's waiting room Belo which we always look at there, and we have a somewhat similar one with scenes in a part at different times of year at home. He does like them, but nothing like in the same league as You Chose. I think the sucess and difference with You Choose is that it's about you (him) ...

OldBeanbagz Mon 14-Oct-13 16:12:31

MrTumblesBavarianFanbase have you had a look at Pirate Pete? My DS used to love it and you can use various pictures in the slots to have a different story every time.

That sounds promising oldbean - one for the Christmas list, I think he'd enjoy it, though not sure how long it'd survive intact!

tumbletumble Tue 15-Oct-13 08:18:42

My DS2 loves Busy Day for the Little Red Train by Benedict Blathwayt. It's slightly similar to You Choose in that the pictures are fab with lots of things to spot as you read.

Thanks Tumbletumble

What he likes is making an imaginary world for himself, rather than just seeing how many ducks he can spot or talking about what's happening in a picture - he links what he has chosen on one page to the next, and refers to things being for his brother and sister etc. - so he'll chose the volcano on the first page, and then the castle say, and will say his castle is on top of the volcano, and then he'll chose things he thinks should go in the castle, some being for him and some for his siblings, and he'll chose castle appropriate clothing and food and family members (but he'll say "this one is DS1's name, this one is DD's name etc. (so he's making himself a world that makes sense in a 2 year old's mind).

So I'm not really looking for good picture books with things to spot, but for books which allow/ are expressly intended to encourage the child to make choices.

'Pirate Pete', 'Just Imagine' and 'Ketchup on Your Cornflakes' look like the kind of thing I'm after smile

tumbletumble Tue 15-Oct-13 11:37:55

He sounds brilliant OP - what an imaginative little boy!

exexpat Tue 15-Oct-13 11:42:02

Not quite the same, but my DD loved You Choose, and moved on from that to a lot of the I-Spy and Usborne spotting books - like The Big Book of Things to Spot - you can talk about all the pictures and animals and speculate on what they do etc, as well as just finding them. Also, a lot of Richard Scarry books appeal in the same sort of way, eg What do people do all day?

OldBeanbagz Tue 15-Oct-13 11:44:53

exexpat my DH still has I-Spy books from his childhood and has bought several for the DC.

clare21 Wed 16-Oct-13 14:08:09

If it's all about choices then how about John Burningham's Would You Rather in which the child has to choose between 4 options eg would you rather eat slug stew or drink snail wee. Not quite - but you get the gist. My kids LOVED it and the chats we had about different choices. Amazon is showing the old cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now