Children's books about pigs

(16 Posts)
Retropear Fri 04-Oct-13 22:29:34

Don't think the Peppermint Pig ends well iykwim.

mrssprout Fri 04-Oct-13 11:36:29

Your DS has very good taste, I love pigs & collect piggy things. I don't know if he would like this series or not as the pig is not an oinky little pig but is the main character, my 10 year old loves it. It is called Nanny Piggins, there are a few books, they are written by R.A.Spratt., she is Australian but they might be available or orderable there.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 04-Oct-13 11:23:50

He's just very sensitive about pigs bless him. I've promised him we'll sponsor One on a rescue farm

Takver Fri 04-Oct-13 11:21:26

The Tantony Pig is lovely though, and said piggy lives happily ever after smile

Takver Fri 04-Oct-13 11:20:51

That is very true, I had forgotten that blush Probably a bad idea for a book, sorry . . .

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 04-Oct-13 11:14:05

Just been reading a synopsis of Peppermint Pig. Is it turned into bacon? Ds gets very upset at the thought of pigs being sausage & bacon to the extent we have to buy quorn?

afromom Fri 04-Oct-13 09:52:54

The Emil series are great, by Astrid Lindgren. Not only about pigs, but based on a farm in Sweden and Emil does have a pet pig! My DS has been reading them for a couple of years, he's 9 also. They are very funny and have DS hooting with laughter when reading them. The regular place names that sound like Ikea furniture make me chuckle smile

mamadou Fri 04-Oct-13 09:18:37

Ace is another Dick King Smith. The pig is called the Ace of Clubs and is the great-grandson of the sheep-pig smile

PeterParkerSays Fri 04-Oct-13 08:58:14

Dick King-Smith also wrote a book called "All pigs are beautiful", illustrated by Anita Jeram.

Your DS might be getting a bit old for it, but there is additional information for older / more interested readers as you go through.

TallulahTwinkle Fri 04-Oct-13 08:53:14

Dick King Smith wrote a series (think called Lady Lollipop) that was about a pig, remember my ds reading it.

Takver Fri 04-Oct-13 08:49:53

I also just found this article while looking for a pdf of the Tantony Pig - a whole academic paper about pigs in children's literature!!!

Takver Fri 04-Oct-13 08:48:52

More seriously, there's a lovely story in Martin Pippin in the Daisy Field called The Tantony Pig.

The Peppermint Pig by Nina Bawden is another good one - would probably appeal if he liked Charlotte's Web.

Takver Fri 04-Oct-13 08:39:58

Animal Farm? grin

DevaDiva Thu 03-Oct-13 23:41:32

Try Jiggy Mccue and the Dr Proctor ? (Jo Nesbo for kids) books my DS, 9 loves them both.

MorvahRising Thu 03-Oct-13 23:33:25

How about The Pig Scrolls by Paul Shipton? My DS loved it at that age and found it incredibly funny. I kept finding him rolling round on the floor in hysterics. It's about a talking pig who tries to save the world and it's set in Ancient Greece.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 03-Oct-13 22:45:22

Ds's teacher is very impressed with his reading ability but says he needs to read a wider range than Captain Underpants.

He is 9 & loves (is obsessed with) pigs. He got Babe the Sheep Pig out of the library (but easy for him flew through it) & for the last 3 days has been engrossed in Charlotte's Web.

Other books he has enjoyed include Wimpy Kid, Roald Dahl (Matilda) & David Walliams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now